Silver g4~ once on/off problem please advise
    Old g4 silver, OSX 10.4 have had since new, all the bells and whistles, sits in office OFF for months at a time till i need to use it for a job. It turns on fine then, but after on for more than 24 hours, computer is off and refuses to restart. power button lights up then once finger leaves button~ light shuts off~ never starts... until a few days later when (cold cold cold ) again???

i tried removing all accessories, external drives ect, same thing.
    zapped p ram

maybe this narrows it down... trying to diagnose the issue i removed all extra boards, ram, cleaned it reinstalled and it still did not turn on... but i noticed it makes a subtle noise when i plug the power cord back into the computer, unplug replug hear something so faint hard to actually notice... changed power cord and same thing.

but a few days later it turns back on and seems lightning fast.

power supply ???

also, sometimes movies played on external hardrive seem to be skipping/jumping... wondereding if these issues were related?

video/graphics card going bad??

if anyone has a suspicion of what they think please let me know

thanks everyone

I am not sure if im going crazy, but random electronic things in my home occasionally seem to not work correctly... then a few days later everything fine again. even remote controls...errrrr (i have witnesses) hheeheheheeh

thanks again

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11
    Simply put you gotta ghost!

Seriously as your machine sounds like a MDD, try replacing the PRAM battery as they can cause all sorts of problems in MDD models, particularly as it sits for months at a time with no power on. Does the machine keep date and time okay?

Maybe reconnecting to the power gets enough of a trickle charge back into the battery to enable booting. That faint noise when reconnecting power is pretty standard - things going into stand-by. G5 does it as did MDD 1.25GHz before that.

i must have a ghost.. weird i know... i go to watch a movie in bedroom and tv wont turn on, next night tv turns on... its the story of my life lately.... AGGHH

MDD? not sure whats MDD but i will replace the pram batt... is that the main battery that i notice immediately after opening the machine? or is that the battery that ...."DOES KEEP TIME! YES! still accurate... unlike my laptop..." date wrong everytime i turn it on...

IF NOT same battery where might it be? ill research in the meantime thanks again harryb2448

Thread Information