New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Buy Mac Pro now or wait?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

syashdown

syashdown is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I've joined the forum to see if anyone can help me out as I'm finally going to make the jump from PC to Mac. As a music producer/composer it just makes sense. I'm looking at buying the 8core Pro so I visited the MacRumours website Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone and it says in its buyer guide to hold off buying one as its due a refresh soon. Does anyone know a little more about this and what it means when the refresh happens ie. does that mean I can get the current spec at a cheaper price or simply a higher spec at the same? Is it likely to happen before christmas? will it be worth waiting?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

Simon
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

Only Apple know when the new models will be released, these sites can only speculate.

Last year it was January, this year it was January. Could be the same next year, but really no one knows.

I ordered mine early/mid January this year, and the new one came out 2 weeks later. Personally, it doesn't bother me as it is a stupidly fast machine and I wanted it now rather than waiting.

Top tip with Apple is, buy it when you need it or wait if you don't (how long is anyones guess tho)...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Order it and be happy with the machine. Have been a Mac user since the introduction of the LC model, which came with 8MB memory and a whopping 160MB, yes MB, hard drive, and there has always been a new model just around the corner.

If I had waited for the extra model would still be pounding on a Commodore!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Here are a lot of answers to your question.

Buy now? or wait?

Should I buy Mac Pro today or wait ("old" inventory?)

Should I wait to buy?

Buy now or wait till WWDC?

TO buy now or wait

Buy now or wait a few months

Buy now or wait?

Should I buy now or wait until summer?

to buy MacBook Pro or wait?

Buy MBP now or Wait til After June

New iMac: Buy now or wait for a stabler Leopard?

Should I wait or should I buy now?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Mmmm commodore. I had the sickest power mac in creation once upon a time... Power Mac 7200/120 ... 120MHz processor, 40MHz system bus, 500MB HD, 32 bit address path! Man that thing was... well, a computer released in 1995 haha.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Mmmm commodore. I had the sickest power mac in creation once upon a time... Power Mac 7200/120 ... 120MHz processor, 40MHz system bus, 500MB HD, 32 bit address path! Man that thing was... well, a computer released in 1995 haha.
Well let me tell you it was a powerful monster compared to the original LC lol! 16MHz processor speed, 16MHz system bus speed and the original HD was 40MB.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Here are a lot of answers to your question.
Great answer big guy!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
syashdown

Thanks for the answers and links, although I'm still not any clearer on one of the questions I was asking: "does that mean I can get the current spec at a cheaper price or simply a higher spec at the same?" I'm not really sure what it means in this regard when the line is refreshed. The reason I'm considering waiting is that the machine is brilliant for what I need but if it means I can get the same spec cheaper soon it would really help as I'm stretching myself financially for this computer.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by syashdown View Post
Thanks for the answers and links, although I'm still not any clearer on one of the questions I was asking: "does that mean I can get the current spec at a cheaper price or simply a higher spec at the same?" I'm not really sure what it means in this regard when the line is refreshed. The reason I'm considering waiting is that the machine is brilliant for what I need but if it means I can get the same spec cheaper soon it would really help as I'm stretching myself financially for this computer.

Thanks
Refresh meaning added goodies. Ranging from faster processor, to new features.

If you can wait, then wait. If you need it now then buy now. It's still the same machine in the end and will do what you bought it for.
QUOTE Thanks
syashdown

What I mean is, when the line is refreshed can I get the current spec computer at cheaper price or will I just have to buy an upgraded computer at the same price as the current model?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Last years model (if you can find one) are almost always less expensive than this years model.

In the current economy and with the lack of any knowledge as to what advances the next model will have, your guess is as good as ours as to whether the price of any new model will go up, down or remain the same.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

If you can find one is the imperative part of the reply.

For sure here down under iMacs are very hard to get according to several mac sites, so it is presumed stocks are being exhausted pending the release of a new iMac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac Won't Wake from Sleep: I Have to Restart | Testing eBlast on Outlook from a Mac? »