New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Mac G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alankellyeire

Alankellyeire is on a distinguished road

Hi

a buddy just gave me 2 of his old g4 mac desktop (He hasn't used them in years)
but when i go to start one of them up it shows a pic of a folder in the middle of the screen with a ? mark then the ? mark changes to a face and then it changes back again etc.....

Don't even get me started on the other one

Thanks for any help
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Sticky thread at the top of this forum: Flashing Question Mark on start up

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Alankellyeire

i figured out that the harddrive was f'd.
any where i could get a cheap 1tb ide harddrive from.

Thanks for any help
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alankellyeire View Post

Thanks for any help
The "?" icon as D3v1L80Y pointed out...means that there is no OS installed on the computer.

So you need to install the OS...if you don't have OS install disks, then you need to purchase them.

As far as the hard drive being no good...are you sure...if so a bad hard drive will also cause the same "?" icon to show up.

Thus you will need a new or used working hard drive + OS install disks.

By the way...depending on what model PowerMac G4 you have, it may not be able to address a hard drive larger than 128 gig.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Thanks for any help
How come everyone wants to throw a honken HD into there machine. If you use an external drive for storage you get around the limit. You could have a whole rack of them. I have a Sun Blade with 3 HD's in it. Eventhough its SCSI for you old enough to know what SCSI is. I got it at the Thrift store like for $4.00. You work with what you got.
QUOTE Thanks
Alankellyeire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
The "?" icon as D3v1L80Y pointed out...means that there is no OS installed on the computer.

So you need to install the OS...if you don't have OS install disks, then you need to purchase them.

As far as the hard drive being no good...are you sure...if so a bad hard drive will also cause the same "?" icon to show up.

Thus you will need a new or used working hard drive + OS install disks.

By the way...depending on what model PowerMac G4 you have, it may not be able to address a hard drive larger than 128 gig.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
yeah its def the harddrive check it in my other computer and it is making some weird noises.
if i put partitions in a harddrive thats is larger than 128g will the com be able to pick it up then.

Thanks for the help lads
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
if i put partitions in a harddrive thats is larger than 128g will the com be able to pick it up then.

Thanks for the help lads
My "gut" reaction is I don't think so...since before you partition it the computer would have to recognize that it is a 1 terabyte drive...so that you could partition it properly into 128gig segments.

If you really need that much storage, I think that you hay have to live with multiple internal & external hard drives smaller than 128gig.

BTW...you never told us what model G4 Powermac you have...if it's a newer one...it may support larger than 128gig drives.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Alankellyeire

Quote:
My "gut" reaction is I don't think so...since before you partition it the computer would have to recognize that it is a 1 terabyte drive...so that you could partition it properly into 128gig segments.

If you really need that much storage, I think that you hay have to live with multiple internal & external hard drives smaller than 128gig.

BTW...you never told us what model G4 Powermac you have...if it's a newer one...it may support larger than 128gig drives.

- Nick
alrite i'll just get an big external harddrive instead.

i was going to buy this one "http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170387977607&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT" i'm assuming this will work well only 128g of it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
alrite i'll just get an big external harddrive instead.
Ok...this is the 3rd time I'm asking this question, What model G4 Powermac do you have?

Some of the Powermac G4's could address hard drives larger than 128gig...but I can't tell you for sure unless you provide the info.

Just trying to help you out,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Alankellyeire

The "Graphite" Power Mac G4
i don't know the specs of it as i can get it on.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
If by "Graphite" you mean the color...then there is a very good chance that it may be able to address a hard drive bigger than 128gig. But knowing the processor speed would help narrow things down further.

This is why I was asking what model G4 you had...because it makes a difference! Thus we could have eliminated much of the "guessing dialog" so far in this thread.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
By the way...I do understand that it's hard for you to know what the CPU speed is on this G4...since your hard drive is busted...and thus cannot access the system.

There usually is a label on the back or on the inside of the computer that lists the specs of the computer as it was shipped.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Alankellyeire

Quote:
If by "Graphite" you mean the color...then there is a very good chance that it may be able to address a hard drive bigger than 128gig. But knowing the processor speed would help narrow things down further.

This is why I was asking what model G4 you had...because it makes a difference! Thus we could have eliminated much of the "guessing dialog" so far in this thread.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
ok on this page Help Me Find My Mac. it is the mac g4 call PowerMac G4
Digital Audio.
sorry don't know the speed of it or anything.
i don't think it will be able to use more that 128g of the harddrive cuz i remembered that when i had my mac g4 quicksilver Dual 800mhz working. that i was unable to use more than 128g of the harddrive i had in it. and since that model came out after this one i would asume it would be the same(correct me if i am wrong)

so will that harddrive in my earlier post work on this mac.
I think it will anyway but just want to be sure.
i don't really care if it only is able to use just 128g of it.

P.s THANKS for all the help
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
ok on this page Help Me Find My Mac. it is the mac g4 call PowerMac G4
Digital Audio.
sorry don't know the speed of it or anything.
I thought you said it was "Graphite"...the Digital Audio G4 has a "teal" or blueish color front & accents..

If you had a 733mhz Quicksilver or faster G4...it is supposed to be able to address hard drives larger than 128gig...if you are running OS 10.2 or higher.

If it's a 733mhz Digital Audio or older/slower...than we are back to the 128gig hard drive limit.

Sorry,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Alankellyeire

ok but will that harddrive work in my com. i don't care if i can use all of drive or not i just want to know will i at least be able to get to use 128g of that harddrive
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« old graphite iMac DV - dvd drive problem | Using time machine to copy G5 HDD »