New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - I bought a new iMac 24" today!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

J Rock

J Rock is on a distinguished road

Hello all!! I'm officially an apple fanboy!

Anyway I purchased a brand new 24" iMac 2.66 today! It's my very first mac and I'm still learning how to use a brand new operating system. Anyway I have a few questions:

1) What is the easiest way to maximize a window? Like iTunes or MS Word
2) How do I right click? Sometimes I want to save an image etc.
3) Are there any "My Documents" or "My Music" folders like on Windows. Right now I'm not exactly sure where my saved docs are going.

Thats it for now. I'll continue reading the forum and visiting the apple support website for help as well.

Justin
QUOTE Thanks
strus_fr

strus_fr is on a distinguished road

... you should have wait .... there is a new one coming in less than 1 month ... :-)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

1. the green button at the top left side of the window - OS X has a different philosophy than windows - it only opens a window large enough for you to see what is there - does not open it full screen necessarily - to make it larger, drag the arrow in the bottom right corner of a window

2. Same as on a windows machine - have a mighty mouse?
To save an image from a web page - no need for right click, just click and drag the image to your desktop

3. Windows Explorer on your Mac is called Finder. You can open it by double clicking on the MacIntosh HD icon on your desktop. Or, by clicking on the icon at the far left side of the dock - the little square smiley face with the big nose

Stuff you download, will auto go into the downloads folder unless you change it - and sitting on the right hand side of the dock.

And congrats on the new toy - nice machine.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

Congrats on the new purchase! Made a great choice. Rumors have a new iMac coming out soon, if you purchased it from an APPLE store, most likely you can return for the upgrade that is coming out.... if your interested, just call the store for more info.

Congrats and Welcome!
QUOTE Thanks
J Rock

Thanks guys. I doubt I am going to upgrade unless there is a price drop. This machine is MORE than what I need.
QUOTE Thanks
Macs

Macs is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Mac, I purchased my iMac about a month ago, and trust me, you won't stop cleaning it, and keeping it in order.

Anyway, you get very used to it after a week or two.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Great machine, have fun with it as i had with mine, 5 yrs ago...
There's a lot of difference between the two.

This was mine then,

QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Wow, can't miss the 'big picture' here...

QUOTE Thanks
Zigdog

Zigdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD

welcome to the forums..>!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Thanks (anyone) for resizing....

QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

I wish my desk looked that neat. Occasionally I get disgruntled and then clean it but it only lasts for a about 2 weeks. I have memory cards, flash drives, CDs and papers all over my desk. I use mine for helping my wife prepare her lessons for her class she is a 4th grade teacher, plus lately I've really gotten in to audiobooks as I spend a lot of time on the road for work. I love my iMac and would really like a new one but realistically I want a macbook so that I can get stuff done on the go.

As far as resizing down in the lower right hand corner are 3 lines you can resize the window and then it should save it as that size the next time you open it. I highly recommend that you get the following book "Mac OS X the missing manual" well worth the money and it will help you with some everyday tasks. Welcome to the family.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
mckimchi

mckimchi is on a distinguished road

Congrats and good luck
QUOTE Thanks
J Rock

Thanks everyone! I can't believe its been two says since I bought it. I'm learning real quick how this system works. Sometimes I think maybe the 24" screen was TOO big. lol I look forward to contributing to the forums and navigating my way throughout the system.
QUOTE Thanks
rjohn33566

rjohn33566 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24"; 2.93GHz; 4GB mem; 640GB HD; iPod Movie 5G; iPod Touch 4G 64gb

I also just bought my first iMac 24", exactly the same one you just bought. So far, I absolutely love it. I was worried that my wife would have a problem getting used to it, but she mostly does internet and email only, so it's been a breeze for her so far.

The last big thing I need to do is to connect my external NTSF 500GB drive to the Mac and transfer all of my PC files. I then want to format it for my Mac and use it as a backup drive. I am waiting for my firewire 800 cable to arrive so I can hook it up and start the process.

I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment from my new "toy".

Thanks and I look forward to reading about others new experiences with their Apple computers.
QUOTE Thanks
J Rock

Here are some pics:

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB Multi-touch Trackpad? | Insanely loud fans on Twin G5 »