Older Mac G5 Memory Issues
    Long story short. GF has a Mac G5 that was having start up problems and freezing. I noiced that when booting up there is a led on the power button that would flash 3 times. I looked this up on the web and it is an indication of bad memory. I bought the exact same spec memory at a computer store. Put it in and it works on first boot up. Then the same issues come back. Now it seems worse. Can't even get the mac to boot up. Push power button, fans come on but no sound and then the led starts flashing. I've searched a lot on the net and I find it hard to believe that macs need some kind of super special ram. Ram is ram. So what else do I need to check? Thanks....

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack10525 View Post
    Long story short. GF has a Mac G5 that was having start up problems and freezing. I noiced that when booting up there is a led on the power button that would flash 3 times. I looked this up on the web and it is an indication of bad memory. I bought the exact same spec memory at a computer store. Put it in and it works on first boot up. Then the same issues come back. Now it seems worse. Can't even get the mac to boot up. Push power button, fans come on but no sound and then the led starts flashing. I've searched a lot on the net and I find it hard to believe that macs need some kind of super special ram. Ram is ram. So what else do I need to check? Thanks....
    Ram is not ram! Sometimes ram meant for Windows computers is not always compatible with Macs.

Go to:

Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC

...and get the memory you need there.

Hope this helps...good luck,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB Flash Storage, 3.3Ghz, 16GB memory, OS X.11.5.
    As Nick has advised the memory is different. As a general rule PCs use cheaper high density memory and Macs low density modules. See if you can get your money back

Thread Information