New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - brown horizontal line across screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alexdunford123

alexdunford123 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have a brown horizontal line going across my mac screen...the photo doesn;t do it justice...

I am not 100% what it is. It isn;t the glass, as hundreds have told me. I have a feeling it could be a magnet problem?

Any help is appriciated, as its now out of warranty.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You say it isn't the glass. Have you removed the glass to see if it's on the inside?

We'll assume you removed the glass and checked. Then....

Let's first find out if it's the monitor or the graphics card. If possible, hook an external monitor to your iMac or a TV monitor. Does the brown discoloration show up on the external monitor? If it does, then we know the problem has to do with the graphics card.

If the external monitor is OK, then we know the discoloration is limited to the internal monitor. Might be that the internal monitor itself is defective (bad pixels, etc) or maybe from external magnetism. External magnetism is sometimes caused by having large speakers close to the monitor. Usually that does not occur with a LCD but is rather more prevalent with CRTs. You could try using a CRT degausser coil if you can locate one to see if it will help.

Post back and let us know.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Ekim is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD

I've seen this a few times... like chscag stated its most likely a magnetism problem, however.. it could also be due to physical damage. You haven't accidentally bumped or knocked it have you?
QUOTE Thanks
alexdunford123

alexdunford123 is on a distinguished road

Hello.

Yes I have removed the glass and its clean, the blemish is still visable...and it hasn't been bumped or anything.

I have tried this with an external monitor and it was ok, thus I think it is a magnet problem. As I am aware, I haven't had it near any strong magnets. I do have speakers in the room, but we are talking about 1 metre away. It is out of warranty you see, and I was wondering would apple care be able to rectify this problem? Or is it a case of a DIY job myself and try and get a coil...although this is an LCD (Imac 24"), would this work with this type of monitor?

Al.
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Ekim is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdunford123 View Post
Hello.

Yes I have removed the glass and its clean, the blemish is still visable...and it hasn't been bumped or anything.

I have tried this with an external monitor and it was ok, thus I think it is a magnet problem. As I am aware, I haven't had it near any strong magnets. I do have speakers in the room, but we are talking about 1 metre away. It is out of warranty you see, and I was wondering would apple care be able to rectify this problem? Or is it a case of a DIY job myself and try and get a coil...although this is an LCD (Imac 24"), would this work with this type of monitor?

Al.
If you paid for the apple care plan and its still valid they should take care of it as long as they cannot determine it was non-accidental.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Chime, Black Screen, No Nothing! Argh! | No Display - Graphics Card??? »