New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - G4 Mini internal dvd/cd drive failure

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Photomacz

Photomacz is on a distinguished road

I bought a second hand Mini G4 1.42 the dvd/cd writer has started to fail, I have installed a new one which we know works but it will not show up in the system profiler... I'm lost as I'm clearly no expert. Can anyone help ?

Photomacz
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Where did you get the replacement drive from? Are you sure it's plugged in correctly? It's been a while since I have been inside of a G4 Mini but there are many videos showing the way to change the optical drive.

Here is a good video.

Mac Mini Memory Installation Video at OtherWorldComputing.com

Are you sure the drive you installed is made for the G4 Mini?
QUOTE Thanks
Photomacz

Hi thanks for the reply, the drive which was bought to replace is the identical model no. to the original drive installed as new, the drive was bought from a reputable dealer who has tested the unit.

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The thing that has me wondering is, if you plugged the top chassis in wrong and the pins did not go into the slot, the hard drive would not work either. The only two things I can think of is somehow the new drive did not seat properly on the plug in the back on the board is is not all the way in. Or the drive is somehow defective, but they tested it so it should just work.

I have changed a couple here on both G4 and Intel Minis and on an iMac that uses the same drive and it just worked like I never took out the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Photomacz

I have stripped the machine down again, put the original drive back. While it was stripped I cleaned all contacts carefully, and made sure everything was seated correct before screws were nipped up, the machine will now read some DVDs, cds but will not write disks... progress ! Maybe !
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's the best way to upgrade my iMac G3 HDD? | No Chime, Black Screen, No Nothing! Argh! »