Internal Storage on Mac Pro

Specs:
    2x2.26 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Question Internal Storage on Mac Pro
    Hi
    new here!
    Noticed that on the specs of the new mac pro I got (2x2.26 Quad Core) it says
    "A completely new interior makes it even easier to add up to 32GB of memory, four PCI Express expansion cards, and up to 4TB of hard drive storage"

My system hard drive is a 640GB and I want to expand the internal available slots with 2 more 2TB each HDDs, maybe even 3 of those. Will that be a problem?

Thank you!
    Moshe

Specs:
    Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT
    No, you have 3 more slots for extra storage. (4 in total).

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekan View Post
    No, you have 3 more slots for extra storage. (4 in total).
    Thanks. I know about the number of slots, I currently have a 2TB, and two extra 500GB drives in it, totals 3.6TB. But the specs say up to 4TB in 4x1TB drives. The question is, can i put two 2TB drives and exceed the total of 4TB?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MosheZusman View Post
    Thanks. I know about the number of slots, I currently have a 2TB, and two extra 500GB drives in it, totals 3.6TB. But the specs say up to 4TB in 4x1TB drives. The question is, can i put two 2TB drives and exceed the total of 4TB?
    From the info I have found...all indications are that you cannot exceed 4 terabyte even in the newest Mac Pro's.

How do you upgrade the hard drives in the Mac Pro? How many drives of what type are supported? @ EveryMac.com

Here is another interesting article that mentions that you can install a 5th hard drive in newer Mac Pro's...but it does not mention anything about exceeding the 4 terabyte limit.

Installing a 5th Hard Drive into a new Mac Pro 'Nehalem' | Other World Computing Blog

As far as installing that second 2TB drive you have...and exceeding the 4TB limit...why not just "pop" that 2nd 2TB drive into your Mac Pro's 4th hard drive bay...and see what happens.

You're not going to hurt anything...worst case scenario is the computer doesn't recognize it...and then you remove it.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    From the info I have found...all indications are that you cannot exceed 4 terabyte even in the newest Mac Pro's.

How do you upgrade the hard drives in the Mac Pro? How many drives of what type are supported? @ EveryMac.com

Here is another interesting article that mentions that you can install a 5th hard drive in newer Mac Pro's...but it does not mention anything about exceeding the 4 terabyte limit.

Installing a 5th Hard Drive into a new Mac Pro 'Nehalem' | Other World Computing Blog

As far as installing that second 2TB drive you have...and exceeding the 4TB limit...why not just "pop" that 2nd 2TB drive into your Mac Pro's 4th hard drive bay...and see what happens.

You're not going to hurt anything...worst case scenario is the computer doesn't recognize it...and then you remove it.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
    Thanks! That's what I suspected and I will confirm with apple support. I can't "test it" since I haven't gotten second that 2TB yet and want to make sure I don't spend $200 for nothing.

Thanks again!

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MosheZusman View Post
    Thanks! That's what I suspected and I will confirm with apple support. I can't "test it" since I haven't gotten second that 2TB yet and want to make sure I don't spend $200 for nothing.

Thanks again!
    Ahh...I see. I thought you already had that 2nd 2TB drive. Checking with Apple is a great idea.

Please let us know what you find out.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information