New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Booting issue after adding a second hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bolivartech

bolivartech is on a distinguished road

I am in the process of cloning some hard drives for a mac lab, but I haven't been very successful. Occasionally I get a hard drive in, the main drive boots, and I use CCC to do the job. But more often then not I get either the blinking folder, or a circle with a slash through it at the gray screen. I've tried every possible configuration I can think of for the jumpers on the hard drives, and I have tried attaching them to both IDE channels. Is there trick to getting this to work consistently? Thanks for any info.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

One has to be Master and the other Slave. Once you got the OS drive as master and it boots the machine dont change it.
QUOTE Thanks
bolivartech

I have done that. I've even go so far as to use the second IDE channel and still have it set to slave. Do I just have bad drives? They worked when they were pulled.
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Ekim is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivartech View Post
I am in the process of cloning some hard drives for a mac lab, but I haven't been very successful. Occasionally I get a hard drive in, the main drive boots, and I use CCC to do the job. But more often then not I get either the blinking folder, or a circle with a slash through it at the gray screen. I've tried every possible configuration I can think of for the jumpers on the hard drives, and I have tried attaching them to both IDE channels. Is there trick to getting this to work consistently? Thanks for any info.
Make sure that the pins for the original device are set as they were prior OS X is very particular in the way that it searches for bootable partitions. If you've already done this use your OS cd to boot. Also, make sure that the all pins are making full contact, a bent pin will definitely cause you some troubles!
QUOTE Thanks
bolivartech

Well what should I do if I can get the original one to boot? Aside from setting the second drive to slave, there shouldn't be any issues then. The drives are all alike and the slave setting is actually without jumpers.
QUOTE Thanks
Zena

Zena is on a distinguished road

How are you connecting the drives?
You may have a damaged cable.

I've seen a lot of intermittent problems with shorter cable and those that get handled a lot. Wires do break inside. Try a new cable or add a magnet (called a "Toroid") to the one you have - you're maxing out the data transfer speed and you have to have perfect cables.
QUOTE Thanks
bolivartech

That thought hadn't occurred to me. I will try different cables and let you know. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bolivartech

Sorry it took so long to reply. The cable did the trick, honestly I've never had an IDE cable go bad so it wasn't something I looked for. Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Your satisfaction with your Mini? | PowerMac G4 Dual Optical - will not boot & no display »