New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Ran Apple Hardware Test: Error on Memory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Theeditor

Theeditor is on a distinguished road

I have a Power Mac G5 running Tiger 10.4.11. I have 4 512mb DIMMs for RAM. I ran the apple hardware test and the following error read- 2MEM/103/4IMMO/J11

so I want to open up the computer and take out the J11 DIMM. I heard they have to be installed in pairs. Do I have to take out another DIMM with the J11 DIMM?

When I look at the memory in about this mac. It shows

SDRAM J11 512mb
SDRAM J12 512mb
SDRAM J13 512mb
SDRAM J14 512mb

thank you to anyone that can help
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

I think pairs is correct. I would move the defective piece to another slot (swap the two) and do the test again. This will identify if the RAM or the slot is bad. Move the J11 to J14 and retest. If it finds the RAM again in the new slot location then try pulling only the bad one.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The Apple Hardware Test is not very good at identifying certain defects and should not be relied on. I would pull all four modules, clean the contacts, and reseat them.

Then download the free "Applejack" off line utility - which includes "MemTest" and use it to check the memory.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I am sure at least with the faster PowerMac G5's that the memory has to be in matched pairs. What are the specs on your G5 Powermac? CPU speed and how many Ram slots?

I would say yes, take out both.

Also every time Apple Hardware Test has said my RAM was bad, it was bad. That is my experience anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Theeditor

Thanks so much for the replies.

As far as the pairs. What is J11 paired with? J14?

Here are the specs on my computer..

Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (2.2)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f7

I have 8 slots for RAM. 4 slots are used by 512mb DIMMS.

Thanks again for the replies. very much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

The Machine Model gave me what I needed.

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X 2) Specs (Mid-2004 - M9455LL/A) @ EveryMac.com

For sure the memory is in Matched Pairs. Let me see if I can find a diagram of which slots are the pairs. I know it's on the net somewhere. Will get back to you.

I could not find the chart Apple had but this video from OWC will show you which modules are pairs.

Power Mac G5 Memory (High Quality) Installation Video at OtherWorldComputing.com

Here is a page from Apple also.

Power Mac G5: Memory Specifications and Requirements
QUOTE Thanks
Theeditor

Great, thanks for the video.

J11 was paired with J12 and I removed them.

So now I'm running with 1GB of RAM. J13 and J14 DIMMs.

Im gonna see how it goes. I know the apple hardware test was right because I was suffering from all the systems of bad RAM (Programs crashing, Kernel Panics, etc.)

If I still get those symptoms with just the 1GB of RAM I guess I'll replace all of it?

As far as Memtest. I downloaded applejack and Memtest comes with it but its an .exe file. How do I run it?

Thanks again guys!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theeditor View Post
As far as Memtest. I downloaded applejack and Memtest comes with it but its an .exe file. How do I run it?
You can't run a Windows executable that's for sure. See the following MacWorld article: Link You actually need to run "memtest" from the AppleJack advanced menu. The OS X (Unix) version is included.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Buying an eMac 700MHz G4. What kind of performance can I expect? | Can my computer get a virus? »