New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Can my computer get a virus?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

silvermac4108

silvermac4108 is on a distinguished road

Can my computer get a virus?

It seems really slow and I have been getting e-mails that say this is undeliverable, but I don't know the address it says it is undeliverable to.

If I can get a virus, please give me some advice.

THANKS.
QUOTE Thanks
mikekan

mikekan is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT

Get iantivirus, its free and works well. Oh! Of course you can get a virus. It is hard though...
QUOTE Thanks
silvermac4108

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekan View Post
Get iantivirus, its free and works well. Oh! Of course you can get a virus. It is hard though...
THANKS....should I do a search or is it on the Mac Page.

THANKS again.
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

You can't get a virus because there are currently no viruses for OS X. Running antivirus is kind of pointless at this point. This is not to say that there will NEVER be one, but right now there is no way you have a virus.

Most likely you just need to do some maintenance, and the email problem is probably just junk mail.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Best reading is this link:-

The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ
QUOTE Thanks
silvermac4108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKhikerVW View Post
You can't get a virus because there are currently no viruses for OS X. Running antivirus is kind of pointless at this point. This is not to say that there will NEVER be one, but right now there is no way you have a virus.

Most likely you just need to do some maintenance, and the email problem is probably just junk mail.
Please tell me what maintenance I can do...THANKS.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

One thing you can do is launch "Disk Utility"...and click on "repair permissions".

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
silvermac4108

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
One thing you can do is launch "Disk Utility"...and click on "repair permissions".

- Nick
THANKS...I am new to Mac...well relatively new...since last December...can you tell me where to find disk utility please.

THANKS.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermac4108 View Post
THANKS...I am new to Mac...well relatively new...since last December...can you tell me where to find disk utility please.

THANKS.
Click on the magnify glass on the right hand corner, and type in Disk Utility.
QUOTE Thanks
silvermac4108

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Click on the magnify glass on the right hand corner, and type in Disk Utility.
Gotcha...thanks...ok...did that and it is done...all these things are listed in the details.

What should I do now?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Do not worry about them and look at this explanation:-

Repair Permissions always has permissions to repair. Will never clear. Help. [Archive] - Mac Forums

Download MainMenu v 1.7.4 to run all those maintenance task:-

MainMenu 1.7.4
QUOTE Thanks
silvermac4108

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Do not worry about them and look at this explanation:-

Download MainMenu v 1.7.4 to run all those maintenance task:-
I am not sure what you mean....sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Read the first link posted by harryb2448. Download the application linked to in the second link and run through some of the operation it has. If you feel uneasy about running things you don't understand, make a backup first.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ran Apple Hardware Test: Error on Memory | Mac Pro CPU question »