New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Emac, won't start

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

greenow182

greenow182 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

First post of this sort so i apologise if this is in the wrong thread or anything.

I have a problem, I have two emacs, one died. The one remaining had no dvd drive so I took the one out of the dead emac and put it into the emac that works.

I put the case back on, screwed in and tried starting it up. However, nothing is happening. I opened it back up and everything is connected fine. The power lead is connected to the casing inside.
When I press the power button at the side it clicks once and that's it.

Is it fixable? Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Did the one "working" eMac work ok (except for no DVD drive) before you installed the DVD drive from the "newly" dead eMac?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
greenow182

Yes it did, it worked fine
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenow182 View Post
Yes it did, it worked fine
Not sure if you knew...but one thing to REALLY be careful about when removing the case of the eMac, is after you remove the screws only lift the case a few inches & disconnect the wire that goes to the "power button".

If after removing the screws, if the case is just immediately lifted right off...the wire to the power button can become disconnected or worse, damaged or broken.

Hopefully his didn't happen,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
greenow182

Well, i think i disconnected it ok.
If it was damaged is there a way of being able to see if it was?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Well, i think i disconnected it ok.
If it was damaged is there a way of being able to see if it was?
The only way to check is to carefully remove the case and take a look!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
greenow182

Ok, well it looks ok to me.

May have to accept this one is also dead!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

When you press the power button nothing happens? No sounds from the machine?

One way you can check the power button is if you have a small meter. Check it for continuity when you press the button. If that wire is pulled too hard it could break or a wire come off at the switch end.
QUOTE Thanks
greenow182

Nothing, no big sounds from the machine, the hard drive doesn't start up or anything. There's a small click noise from where the power button is as if it's about to boot then its gone.
QUOTE Thanks
greenow182

I just checked it again. Looking at the mac from behind I see that when I press the power button the fans spin, but then cut out straight away.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Ok, well it looks ok to me.

May have to accept this one is also dead!
Well if this eMac #2 worked fine before you installed the DVD drive (from the dead eMac #1)...then it should still be ok.

Maybe you should remove that DVD drive...and then see if the "working" eMac will startup.

If this 2nd working eMac was fine before you installed the DVD drive..and then it didn't work after installing the DVD drive...then either the DVD drive is causing a problem...or the power switch got broken or the wire to the power button got messed up with all of the assembly/disassembly.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I just checked it again. Looking at the mac from behind I see that when I press the power button the fans spin, but then cut out straight away.
Ok...that helps quite a bit. If you're getting "signs of life" when you press the power button...then the power button is fine.

The only thing left is that DVD drive you installed. I would say remove it, then try to start up the eMac. Maybe that DVD drive is causing some sort of problem.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
greenow182

Thanks for your help, tomorrow I'll take the drive out and replace with the cd one.
Hopefully it'll work!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« powermac inside dimensions | iMac 24" has a burned in image but it goes away sometimes? »