New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - blue vertical line has appeared on my screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kairos

kairos is on a distinguished road

a single blue vertical line has appeared on my screen. What causes this and how do i get rid of it?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Someone here may know but you should tell us more about the Imac..what year and model it is.
QUOTE Thanks
Apple4life

Apple4life will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mini, iPhone 4, iPods, Seagate 1TB HDD

I've recently had the same issue. I would classify my line as aqua since it's a very light blue/green.

I'm running the very first year of the Intel Core Duo. 10.5.8. Am I looking at signs of logic board failure?
QUOTE Thanks
kairos

I have a 2007 i-mac with tiger. The line appeared yesterday when they updated the computer with I-tunes, Quick time and intel security something or other. The updates did not take properly because it said there was someone else logged in on i-tunes--which was not the case???? The line is acqua-green and begins where the H in help ends on the upper bar. We have no idea what's going on or how to get rid of it. Everything else appears to be working fine.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Probly gpu
QUOTE Thanks
Apple4life

Apple4life will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mini, iPhone 4, iPods, Seagate 1TB HDD

I take it that's not a good thing...

I'm getting a Mac Mini anyway, but could I sell my iMac with that problem for anything?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple4life View Post
I take it that's not a good thing...

I'm getting a Mac Mini anyway, but could I sell my iMac with that problem for anything?
A 2007 iMac is still certainly worth something!...but of course that vertical line will certainly reduce the value.

You could try connecting an external monitor to your iMac...and see if the problem exists on the external monitor as well. Then you could either keep the iMac (working off the external monitor)...or sell it, informing folks that the main monitor has the vertical line issue...but state that if an external monitor is used, everything is fine.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kairos View Post
I have a 2007 i-mac with tiger. The line appeared yesterday when they updated the computer with I-tunes, Quick time and intel security something or other. The updates did not take properly because it said there was someone else logged in on i-tunes--which was not the case????
In this post you mentioned that the problem with the iMac started when "they" updated the computer.

Who is they??

Maybe the OS got messed up somehow during this update. You might want to try reinstalling the OS before you consider this computer "no good", and selling it.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
kairos

what is the reputation system- i am a mac novice
QUOTE Thanks
pokeman89

pokeman89 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive

I have had this problem on laptops before, they usually mean the LCD display is going bad, the lines usually get worse, although I haven't seen this as an issue with GPUs myself I do know that is also a possibility.Do what pigoo says and try an external monitor, that will tell you what the problem is. unfortunately it is highly impractical to replace the iMac LCDs, but the graphics card is easier. Neither one is cheap, however.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Kairos? By in the Woods? Good song...

The reputation system is a part of this board... that is a part of pigoo's signature.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I have a 2007 i-mac with tiger. The line appeared yesterday when they updated the computer with I-tunes, Quick time and intel security something or other. The updates did not take properly because it said there was someone else logged in on i-tunes--which was not the case???? The line is acqua-green and begins where the H in help ends on the upper bar. We have no idea what's going on or how to get rid of it. Everything else appears to be working fine.
I received & replied to your PM...and I'm posting here as well to help with the continuity of the thread.

That line appearing after the update sounds way to coincidental to be anything other than being related to the software update.

If I were you (and if I had the same problem) I would do a fresh install of the Mac OS.

One other thing you could do, is try booting the computer with the grey/silver disks that came with your computer (I'm assuming you got this computer new).

When your computer "boots" from the disk...don't do the reinstall yet...just look to see if you get the vertical line.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
kairos

what is expensive???
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
The reputation system is related to this website...it is not something "Mac" related. Give this a read if your interested:

Reputation System FAQ

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pokeman89

pokeman89 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive

Quote:
what is expensive???
Buying a new LCD display or a new graphics card. The good graphics cards are in excess of $100 (Sometimes in excess of $200), and I'm not sure about the LCD's but I have seen some laptop LCDs go for more than $150 and that is not something I would trust myself to install one properly, it is not a job for the inexperienced.

Also, I think some iMacs had the Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics, which is not replaceable, in which case I have no idea what you could do to fix it. It depends on which one you have exactly.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac 24" has a burned in image but it goes away sometimes? | Intel Imac Random Shutdown problem »