New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - What's the best way to upgrade my iMac G3 HDD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bgriggs

bgriggs is on a distinguished road

Hi, and thanks in advance for any assistance. I've never had a mac before, and I picked up a G3 iMac at a garage sale last weekend. It's running Jaguar on a 10GB HDD. I'd like to upgrade both the OS and the HDD - is it possible to put a blank HDD in there and boot directly from an OSX CD/DVD? I just want to make sure before I crack this sucker open and put it all back together. Again, thanks for any info.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgriggs View Post
is it possible to put a blank HDD in there and boot directly from an OSX CD/DVD?
Yes you can, by holding down the C key at start-up

As for the hard disk, there is a guide here - bear in mind that those older macs could not support drives over 128 Gig connected to the internal ATA bus

How do you replace or upgrade the hard drive in the iMac G3 models? Do these models support "big drives"? @ EveryMac.com

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

You need to tell us if its a tray load or slot load Imac as there may be no DVD drive in these models and when you install a new clean HD you lose part of the firmware that resides on the disc that enables the machine to run Unix. I would just leave the OS on the small drive and buy a firewire or USB external drive to store your stuff. That gets you past the boot drive size limit. And there may be issues with a new drive install.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And consider purchasing a 7200 RPM drive to replace the original 5400 RPM. Have done several and have not seen any heat problems the iMac could not cope with.
QUOTE Thanks
bgriggs

Thanks for the link, that's very helpful. It's a slot load combo drive, but it doesn't eject very well and I'm planning on replacing that, too. Yeah, I've read other posts that advise buying a firewire drive etc...but honestly I'd like to play around and see if I can get it working. I've got a 60GB drive just laying around and it seems like a good upgrade candidate.
QUOTE Thanks
bgriggs

Somebody mentioned firmware. Does this still apply on a fresh hard drive? And what is the firmware actually for, the mainboard?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Somebody mentioned firmware. Does this still apply on a fresh hard drive? And what is the firmware actually for, the mainboard?
YES.... That way I said to leave the drive alone and put the 60gig in a box and use it as a second drive. These G3 Imacs are just powerbooks with VGA monitors on top and the firmware is an enabler to run that stuff. Unless you have the original Imac install disc for that model you can get in lots of trouble real quick. The same goes for upgrading to X, With out the right firmware installed the Unix code in X can disable the video chip. Its called death by ten.
As theres nothing in the OS ten installer to stop you from installing if the boot rom is not right.
QUOTE Thanks
bgriggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
YES.... That way I said to leave the drive alone and put the 60gig in a box and use it as a second drive. These G3 Imacs are just powerbooks with VGA monitors on top and the firmware is an enabler to run that stuff. Unless you have the original Imac install disc for that model you can get in lots of trouble real quick. The same goes for upgrading to X, With out the right firmware installed the Unix code in X can disable the video chip. Its called death by ten.
As theres nothing in the OS ten installer to stop you from installing if the boot rom is not right.
Thanks for the help. So I've already checked the firmware through the existing OS install (booting to OS9, Jaguar is also installed) and it is at the latest version. If the firmware is running on the mainboard, I'm assuming that I'm ok to go ahead with the hard drive upgrade, yes?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Quote:
Thanks for the help. So I've already checked the firmware through the existing OS install (booting to OS9, Jaguar is also installed) and it is at the latest version. If the firmware is running on the mainboard, I'm assuming that I'm ok to go ahead with the hard drive upgrade, yes?
NO...If you install a clean hard drive you will have to start from the begining. Most of the firmware resides on the HD and it will be gone.You have to start with the original version for that Imac.. install OS 9.2.2 then the OS x firmware making the boot rom 4.1.9 then install Jaguar. If you do not have the original Classic install disc you could get up the creek real quick. You can add the second drive in an external box ..format it and you got 60gigs of storage. A whole lot easier and no pain.
QUOTE Thanks
bgriggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
NO...If you install a clean hard drive you will have to start from the begining. Most of the firmware resides on the HD and it will be gone.You have to start with the original version for that Imac.. install OS 9.2.2 then the OS x firmware making the boot rom 4.1.9 then install Jaguar. If you do not have the original Classic install disc you could get up the creek real quick. You can add the second drive in an external box ..format it and you got 60gigs of storage. A whole lot easier and no pain.
Thank you - that's what I needed to know.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac G5 1st gen. power supply | G4 Mini internal dvd/cd drive failure »