New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - powermac g5 better than what I got?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

franciscog_chin

franciscog_chin is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have an hp pavillion dv6500 series with 1.46ghz dual core, windows vista 32 bit, 4gb ram. I am considering trading with someone for a powermac g5 2.0gb dual core, with 2.5gb ram, and a 19" lcd and I also have one (dual monitors). it has installed os 10.4 but I have a copy of 10.5...what do you guys think?

btw, Ive used mac before (I had a g4) and I liked it. I am mainly going to use it for school work and recording music.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Well your asking a bunch of Macintosh people if you should trade a Windows machine for a Macintosh???...what answer do you think you're going to get???

But honestly...the PowerMac G5 is a nice computer...but the one problem at this point is the PowerMac G5 does not have an Intel processor...and starting with Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)...all future OS updates will be for Macintosh's with Intel CPU's only.

So with the PowerMac G5 the latest OS update you can use on it will be 10.5.8.

Again...the PowerMac G5 is a nice computer...and I wouldn't hesitate to snap one up for the right price.

I think that if I were you I would consider some things:

1. How much much do you want to switch from the Windows OS to the Mac OS?
2. How long do you intend on keeping this PowerMac G5...and is having the latest & greatest OS important to you?
3. Compare how much your HP is worth compared to the value of the G5...just to be sure it's a fair trade.
4. Would it be better to keep your HP...and upgrade to Windows 7?

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
franciscog_chin

thanks.
well actually that deal didnt go through after all but I am still looking to trade my computer and there are some that I am considering. but I am not sure what amout of ghz would be equal or more than my current laptop.
there is another g5 that has 1.8ghz dual core, and only 512 ram. is this still better? which one would be better for recording music?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciscog_chin View Post
thanks.
well actually that deal didnt go through after all but I am still looking to trade my computer and there are some that I am considering. but I am not sure what amout of ghz would be equal or more than my current laptop.
there is another g5 that has 1.8ghz dual core, and only 512 ram. is this still better? which one would be better for recording music?
How come the other deal fell through?

Your HP is a laptop...is trading for a desktop going to fit your computing needs?

As far as a CPU speed comparison...this is not an easy thing to do between Windows & Mac computers.

I'm not 100% sure this is the best comparison...but maybe in terms of CPU evolution between Windows & Mac computers...consider the G5 CPU's to be kind of like Pentium 4 CPU's.

If your HP has a 1.46 ghz dual-core processor...that would be more like some of the slower 1.83 ghz dual-core CPU's Apple used in the older MacBooks & iMac's.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
franciscog_chin

well the deal fell through because he was more interested in money, and someone bought last night.

yeah I prefer desktop right now.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciscog_chin View Post
well the deal fell through because he was more interested in money, and someone bought last night.
Yeah...I know how that goes...trades are really hard to pull off!

Unless you're trading someone something of much greater value than they're trading you.

Money almost always is more attractive than a trade.

Good luck in your search,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
franciscog_chin

thanks. do you think that a mac g5 1.8ghz dual core with 1gb ram will be better than my pc? there is someone interested...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Like comparing oranges with apples sadly, no pun intended. Remember you also have to invest in a monitor with the G5 and I do not think it would be any faster than your dv6500. The 1.8GHz G5's are pretty old now being first released six years ago. Here are the specs:-

Apple Power Macintosh G5 1.8 DP (PCI-X) Specs (Original/Late 2003 - M9393LL/A) @ EveryMac.com
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

The G5 has a 64 bit processor... a faster processor... and a better OS. The only thing it's lacking is 1.5GB of RAM... which you can easily upgrade.

So, in short... you'd be crazy not to do that deal.
QUOTE Thanks
Ted Kramer

Ted Kramer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Quicksilver- 1.4GHz sonnet upgrade, 1GB ram, 120GB HDD, Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb video card

yep. Id grab it quick and never look back

Is a hippopotamus a hippopotamus or a really hip opotamus?
-----------------------
Quicksilver- 1.4GHz sonnet upgrade, 1GB ram, 120GB HDD, Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb video card
G3 iMac- 350MHz, 512MB ram, 10GB HDD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel Imac Random Shutdown problem | desperate for G5 solutions... »