New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Upgrade my mini mac dvd drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beck

I want to upgrade my combo drive to a super drive, the lack of a dvd writer is hurting me! ive found this Pioneer DVR-K04 which looks like the one i want but i cant seem to find it in the uk. Is there another drive out there that i could use? i would realy like a dual layer drive.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You can't upgrade the dvd drive on your own. It is very hard and will void your warranty

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
beck

i fairly sure i could do it, dont realy care about the warenty, just need to find somthing to put in it!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Just get an external drive

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Just get your self an external firewire DVD burner. Then you will still have your warranty. You will also be able to move your burner to other systems if you need to.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

If you can find the right part cheap, I don't think it would be very difficult to change it.
QUOTE Thanks
DanielNTX

DanielNTX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini

I've upgraded my drives to the Pioneer with no problems. It cost me $110 (US) for the drive. It's actually quite easy to do. The problem is now I want bezels for the old drives. I found them in the UK but it's so expensive to ship them over here.

Here's the bezel for the old drive: http://linitx.com/product_info.php?products_id=637

Anyone know where to find it in the US?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielNTX
The problem is now I want bezels for the old drives.
What do you need those for?
QUOTE Thanks
DanielNTX

DanielNTX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
What do you need those for?
So I can re-use the drives in my other devices. Without the bezel, the CD is spit out at very high rate and is flung.
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielNTX
So I can re-use the drives in my other devices. Without the bezel, the CD is spit out at very high rate and is flung.

note to self: intentionally remove the bezel from my optical drive and have a ball watching my imac shoot cd/dvds across the room...

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
beck

anyone else know of a drive which i could use?
QUOTE Thanks
VakeJ

VakeJ is on a distinguished road

Is there link showing how to remove the original optical drive from the mac mini? Just curious....

I've done a memory upgrade, which is quite simple.

VJ
QUOTE Thanks
maytagmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by VakeJ
Is there link showing how to remove the original optical drive from the mac mini? Just curious....

I've done a memory upgrade, which is quite simple.

VJ
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini/superdrive/

Put one in my mini. Not much harder then putting in the ram.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Partitioning advice.... | Burning CD's and Watching DVD's »