New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Mac Pro - Switching from PC's to iMac or Mac Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

4ohTENNISis4cc

4ohTENNISis4cc is on a distinguished road

Here is a newbie question. I have 3 kids and I currently have 3 PC desktops in my son's room (all lined up in a long desk) & 1 PC desktop in my office. I am thinking about switching to a MAC system. I was wondering if it is possible to use a Mac Pro as a server to power all 4 desktops or do I need to buy 4 iMacs if I need to switch to Mac. I am getting fed up with the PC's and miss the time I had a G5. I feel like a newbie all over, please help
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ohTENNISis4cc View Post
Here is a newbie question. I have 3 kids and I currently have 3 PC desktops in my son's room (all lined up in a long desk) & 1 PC desktop in my office. I am thinking about switching to a MAC system. I was wondering if it is possible to use a Mac Pro as a server to power all 4 desktops or do I need to buy 4 iMacs if I need to switch to Mac. I am getting fed up with the PC's and miss the time I had a G5. I feel like a newbie all over, please help
Well...I'm not going to say that I'm a computer networking expert. But when I was in college, working in one of the computer labs (Macintosh's)...you needed one computer to act as the "server"...and then you needed one computer for each user.

The server "shared" the software...which would require a multi-user license for each application shared. Plus you needed the special "server" software, and certain Apple computer models were specially designed as "server" models.

So if most or all of these parameters still hold true...for a server setup you would need:

- one more computer than you have users (in this case 3 kid computers + 1 adult computer + server computer = 5 computers)
- server software
- multi-license application software (including the Mac OS)

So I would think that a "Server" setup would be more expensive than buying 4 separate iMac's or Mac-Mini's.

If you already have compatible monitors, keyboards, and mice...then the lowest cost route would be to purchase 4 Mac-Mini's.

And an even lower cost route would be to purchase 4 used Mac-Mini's.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. BTW...you can purchase 4 Mac-Mini's for the price of one Mac Pro.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

If your wanting to get away from windows issues you have to get away. Let the kids play with the PC's till they lock up. Used Macs are very good if you buy from a honest dealer. Ive rarely seen an old Mac.. like over 10 years old not work. Stick with one that uses your own monitors etc. a Mini or Tower.
QUOTE Thanks
MelbournePark

MelbournePark is on a distinguished road

OSX allows you to have several users on the one Mac. They have different passwords for each of their virtual computers. They cannot use the computer at the same time though.

Get macs with radio networks though - its much simpler.

Network backing gets very complicated I reckon. But its the way to go if you want to ensure safe data. And if you do, a RAID one means its fault tolerant.

But then they are young - they should learn to back up themselves. And the biggest issues they'll have, will be all their music and videos that will fill up their computers. So buy them external drives, for all their junk. Preferably the ruggedized portable type. they cost more but they are more kid proof.

If budget is an issue, buy them macbooks, get a radio back device, and one big screen and keyboard for when its needed, with the quick release mini-dvi connection which modern macbooks (or 13" macbook Pros have now).

Macbooks are not so cheap, but they are very solid units and reliable.
QUOTE Thanks
4ohTENNISis4cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
If your wanting to get away from windows issues you have to get away. Let the kids play with the PC's till they lock up. Used Macs are very good if you buy from a honest dealer. Ive rarely seen an old Mac.. like over 10 years old not work. Stick with one that uses your own monitors etc. a Mini or Tower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbournePark View Post
OSX allows you to have several users on the one Mac. They have different passwords for each of their virtual computers. They cannot use the computer at the same time though.

Get macs with radio networks though - its much simpler.

Network backing gets very complicated I reckon. But its the way to go if you want to ensure safe data. And if you do, a RAID one means its fault tolerant.

But then they are young - they should learn to back up themselves. And the biggest issues they'll have, will be all their music and videos that will fill up their computers. So buy them external drives, for all their junk. Preferably the ruggedized portable type. they cost more but they are more kid proof.

If budget is an issue, buy them macbooks, get a radio back device, and one big screen and keyboard for when its needed, with the quick release mini-dvi connection which modern macbooks (or 13" macbook Pros have now).

Macbooks are not so cheap, but they are very solid units and reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Well...I'm not going to say that I'm a computer networking expert. But when I was in college, working in one of the computer labs (Macintosh's)...you needed one computer to act as the "server"...and then you needed one computer for each user.

The server "shared" the software...which would require a multi-user license for each application shared. Plus you needed the special "server" software, and certain Apple computer models were specially designed as "server" models.

So if most or all of these parameters still hold true...for a server setup you would need:

- one more computer than you have users (in this case 3 kid computers + 1 adult computer + server computer = 5 computers)
- server software
- multi-license application software (including the Mac OS)

So I would think that a "Server" setup would be more expensive than buying 4 separate iMac's or Mac-Mini's.

If you already have compatible monitors, keyboards, and mice...then the lowest cost route would be to purchase 4 Mac-Mini's.

And an even lower cost route would be to purchase 4 used Mac-Mini's.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. BTW...you can purchase 4 Mac-Mini's for the price of one Mac Pro.
I am leaning towards a Mac Mini....is that a good choice? What version are the most reliable?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ohTENNISis4cc View Post
I am leaning towards a Mac Mini....is that a good choice? What version are the most reliable?
Are you thinking new or used?

G4 or Intel based?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
4ohTENNISis4cc

Quote:

G4 or Intel based?

- Nick
Whichever is best
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

You'd need to go for the Intel-based machine to be able to use the latest OS
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:

G4 or Intel based?

- Nick
"4ohTENNISis4cc"...honestly...do you even know what I'm talking about??

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Optical drive wont read DVD Data. | Keyboard mapping Home & End keys »