View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Switching from PC's to iMac or Mac Pro?

    Member Since
    Sep 15, 2009
    Posts
    3
    Lightbulb Switching from PC's to iMac or Mac Pro?
    Here is a newbie question. I have 3 kids and I currently have 3 PC desktops in my son's room (all lined up in a long desk) & 1 PC desktop in my office. I am thinking about switching to a MAC system. I was wondering if it is possible to use a Mac Pro as a server to power all 4 desktops or do I need to buy 4 iMacs if I need to switch to Mac. I am getting fed up with the PC's and miss the time I had a G5. I feel like a newbie all over, please help

  2. #2
    Switching from PC's to iMac or Mac Pro?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,466
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ohTENNISis4cc View Post
    Here is a newbie question. I have 3 kids and I currently have 3 PC desktops in my son's room (all lined up in a long desk) & 1 PC desktop in my office. I am thinking about switching to a MAC system. I was wondering if it is possible to use a Mac Pro as a server to power all 4 desktops or do I need to buy 4 iMacs if I need to switch to Mac. I am getting fed up with the PC's and miss the time I had a G5. I feel like a newbie all over, please help
    Well...I'm not going to say that I'm a computer networking expert. But when I was in college, working in one of the computer labs (Macintosh's)...you needed one computer to act as the "server"...and then you needed one computer for each user.

    The server "shared" the software...which would require a multi-user license for each application shared. Plus you needed the special "server" software, and certain Apple computer models were specially designed as "server" models.

    So if most or all of these parameters still hold true...for a server setup you would need:

    - one more computer than you have users (in this case 3 kid computers + 1 adult computer + server computer = 5 computers)
    - server software
    - multi-license application software (including the Mac OS)

    So I would think that a "Server" setup would be more expensive than buying 4 separate iMac's or Mac-Mini's.

    If you already have compatible monitors, keyboards, and mice...then the lowest cost route would be to purchase 4 Mac-Mini's.

    And an even lower cost route would be to purchase 4 used Mac-Mini's.

    Hope this helps,

    - Nick

    p.s. BTW...you can purchase 4 Mac-Mini's for the price of one Mac Pro.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3
    Switching from PC's to iMac or Mac Pro?
    Mac SK's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 20, 2006
    Posts
    1,513
    If your wanting to get away from windows issues you have to get away. Let the kids play with the PC's till they lock up. Used Macs are very good if you buy from a honest dealer. Ive rarely seen an old Mac.. like over 10 years old not work. Stick with one that uses your own monitors etc. a Mini or Tower.

  4. #4
    Switching from PC's to iMac or Mac Pro?

    Member Since
    Sep 15, 2009
    Posts
    2
    OSX allows you to have several users on the one Mac. They have different passwords for each of their virtual computers. They cannot use the computer at the same time though.

    Get macs with radio networks though - its much simpler.

    Network backing gets very complicated I reckon. But its the way to go if you want to ensure safe data. And if you do, a RAID one means its fault tolerant.

    But then they are young - they should learn to back up themselves. And the biggest issues they'll have, will be all their music and videos that will fill up their computers. So buy them external drives, for all their junk. Preferably the ruggedized portable type. they cost more but they are more kid proof.

    If budget is an issue, buy them macbooks, get a radio back device, and one big screen and keyboard for when its needed, with the quick release mini-dvi connection which modern macbooks (or 13" macbook Pros have now).

    Macbooks are not so cheap, but they are very solid units and reliable.

  5. #5
    Switching from PC's to iMac or Mac Pro?

    Member Since
    Sep 15, 2009
    Posts
    3
    Leaning towards Mac Minis........is that a good choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
    If your wanting to get away from windows issues you have to get away. Let the kids play with the PC's till they lock up. Used Macs are very good if you buy from a honest dealer. Ive rarely seen an old Mac.. like over 10 years old not work. Stick with one that uses your own monitors etc. a Mini or Tower.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelbournePark View Post
    OSX allows you to have several users on the one Mac. They have different passwords for each of their virtual computers. They cannot use the computer at the same time though.

    Get macs with radio networks though - its much simpler.

    Network backing gets very complicated I reckon. But its the way to go if you want to ensure safe data. And if you do, a RAID one means its fault tolerant.

    But then they are young - they should learn to back up themselves. And the biggest issues they'll have, will be all their music and videos that will fill up their computers. So buy them external drives, for all their junk. Preferably the ruggedized portable type. they cost more but they are more kid proof.

    If budget is an issue, buy them macbooks, get a radio back device, and one big screen and keyboard for when its needed, with the quick release mini-dvi connection which modern macbooks (or 13" macbook Pros have now).

    Macbooks are not so cheap, but they are very solid units and reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Well...I'm not going to say that I'm a computer networking expert. But when I was in college, working in one of the computer labs (Macintosh's)...you needed one computer to act as the "server"...and then you needed one computer for each user.

    The server "shared" the software...which would require a multi-user license for each application shared. Plus you needed the special "server" software, and certain Apple computer models were specially designed as "server" models.

    So if most or all of these parameters still hold true...for a server setup you would need:

    - one more computer than you have users (in this case 3 kid computers + 1 adult computer + server computer = 5 computers)
    - server software
    - multi-license application software (including the Mac OS)

    So I would think that a "Server" setup would be more expensive than buying 4 separate iMac's or Mac-Mini's.

    If you already have compatible monitors, keyboards, and mice...then the lowest cost route would be to purchase 4 Mac-Mini's.

    And an even lower cost route would be to purchase 4 used Mac-Mini's.

    Hope this helps,

    - Nick

    p.s. BTW...you can purchase 4 Mac-Mini's for the price of one Mac Pro.
    I am leaning towards a Mac Mini....is that a good choice? What version are the most reliable?

  6. #6
    Switching from PC's to iMac or Mac Pro?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,466
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ohTENNISis4cc View Post
    I am leaning towards a Mac Mini....is that a good choice? What version are the most reliable?
    Are you thinking new or used?

    G4 or Intel based?

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7
    Switching from PC's to iMac or Mac Pro?

    Member Since
    Sep 15, 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Are you thinking new or used?

    G4 or Intel based?

    - Nick
    Whichever is best

  8. #8
    Switching from PC's to iMac or Mac Pro?

    Member Since
    Apr 23, 2009
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    191
    Specs:
    Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    You'd need to go for the Intel-based machine to be able to use the latest OS

  9. #9
    Switching from PC's to iMac or Mac Pro?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,466
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Are you thinking new or used?

    G4 or Intel based?

    - Nick
    "4ohTENNISis4cc"...honestly...do you even know what I'm talking about??

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Switching from G5 to Mac Book Pro
    By snappy in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 03:24 PM
  2. Switching from a MBP to Imac or Mac Pro????
    By Fay in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 08:27 AM
  3. Switching from a MBP to ??? iMac or Mac Pro??
    By Fay in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 07:12 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-17-2009, 06:04 PM
  5. Switching - iMac or MacBook Pro?
    By charlottereeves in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 10:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •