New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Cannot reinstall OS X 10.4 Computer cannot see HD.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rberry76

rberry76 is on a distinguished road

my G5 is having serious issues. First the Superdrive went out. I replaced that to try to run disk utility because the Mac was running so slow and would take like 5 minutes or more to boot. The Utility keeps failing at Invalid Sibling link. So I thought at this point I should try to reinstall OS X which is 10.4 Tiger. So when I did this the computer froze during the reinstall. Now the G5 cannot see the HD when I try to reinstall OS X. What do I do. Is the HD corrupt? I am lost.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Either the drive is not connected properly, or the drive is dead

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
rberry76

I can hear the HD still running. Is there a chance to save what is on the machine?
QUOTE Thanks
manymanymacs

manymanymacs is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001

If you can log on, you should be able to pile all of your files onto a drive (usb or wifi connected). Once done with that, if this G5 is a desktop, you could have a look inside.
It might be as simple as a loose cord or some faulty memory.
QUOTE Thanks
rberry76

How can I find out if I have bad memory or bad HD? I ran the apple hardware test and the memory and mass storage passed. Anything else?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Bad memory will give the three beeps or kernel panic attacks. Go into Disk Utility and see what S.M.A.R.T Status says about the drive. Also boot from your install disc and run Repair Disc from Disk Utility there.

As louishen advises looks like you got a dead drive on your hands alas.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberry76 View Post
I can hear the HD still running. Is there a chance to save what is on the machine?
A crashed HD still runs. It can no long read or write to the disc.
QUOTE Thanks
rberry76

Thanks for the help everyone.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The computer crashes... | iMac not seeing cd/dvd drive »