New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

eMac - eMac Airport?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

emachead

emachead is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 10.4.11 2.16 Intel 1GB Macbook

I buy eMacs from a local university and upgrade them and sell them cheap at cost to friends. I have purchased airport extreme cards for many of them for wireless. The new set I have may require the original airport cards. eMac PowerPC - 1 GHz - 1 GB- G83260NTNLZ - Memory PC 133U-333.

Just want to be sure I order the right airport card - original or extreme?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

AirPort Extreme Card: Compatible Macintosh computers

AirPort Card: Compatible Macintosh Computers

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

I successfully transplanted my airport xtreme card from my PowerMac G5 to my eMac upon the PM's death. Just pop off the protective plate from the eMac's optical drive, and the slot is right there. Don't be afraid to push either, it will take a bit to get the card to snap properly in place.
QUOTE Thanks
manymanymacs

manymanymacs is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001

I'm typing this on a 700MHz emac 2002-3 model and i'm using the airport original card. I believe that the 1GHz models require airport extreme.

If that isn't so, make sure you remove the expansion thingamajigggy which you use to connect airport to an iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
emachead

I've added Airport Extreme Cards to many eMacs that I've had before. Very easy. Something just tells me that this set of older eMacs may take the original card. Just want to be sure. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
emachead

Just installed the Airport Extreme ... it works. On another forum it said this eMac with this memory took the original airport, but the extreme was the right choice. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Good, glad to hear it worked out for you.
QUOTE Thanks
manymanymacs

manymanymacs is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001

That's weird, i'm on an eMac that took the old card.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manymanymacs View Post
That's weird, i'm on an eMac that took the old card.
The older eMacs 700mhz & 800mhz (without the ATI graphics) used the older Airport card...all other eMacs use the newer/smaller Airport Extreme card.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Type of SATA cable required for Optical Drive | powermac inside dimensions »