New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Screen goes very dim

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jim6856

jim6856 is on a distinguished road

My intel 17" mac has an almost black screen. It is too dark to see the mouse pointer but I can tell it is on. When I push the power button to force a shut down, the screen brightens for just a second and I can see a normal looking desktop before it shuts down. I have zapped the pram. I have hooked up an external monitor and it shows the desktop background but mirroring is not on so I can not use it to navigate. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If the external monitor shows a normal raster (video) with correct brightness, we can assume the GPU in your iMac is working OK. It also means your logic board is probably OK. That leaves us with the internal display of your iMac.

The symptom you describe may be a failing backlight (the CCFL which lights the screen) or it could be a defective inverter. Of the two, I would be more inclined to suspect the backlight. The inverter is a do it yourself replacement but does require care and skill. However, since replacing the backlight in the display, especially an iMac, is a daunting and difficult job, it's usually better to replace the entire display.

And there may be other reasons your display is not functioning correctly....

If your iMac is still under warranty, it would be best to have it looked at by Apple. If not, then you have a decision to make on how to go about repairing it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
jim6856

jim6856 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the info.

I have taken the cover off and pushed in all the connections related to the inverter board.

I started it up again and no problem with the screen. It is bright and clear.

We will see if it stays that way.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Sounds like you may have lucked out. Let's hope it was just a loose connection from the inverter. Keep us posted.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
johninsf

johninsf is on a distinguished road

It might have also been the act of disconnecting the power that fixed your problem, rather than wiggling the internal connections. I believe the power management unit (now called the SMC) is reset by unplugging all connections for a few minutes.

If it happens again, you could also try booting off the Mac OS X disk and see if it's software-related. (If it is, the screen should be bright when booting off the OS install disk.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Hardware Test | Adding memory to an iMac G4 »