New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac mini and KVM Switch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tomtheheretic

Greetings all,

I currently have a PC (unfortunately) and am looking to buy a Mac mini for the eventual day when this thing will decide to crash for good on me. But in the meantime I was hoping to be able to use both at once without getting a new monitor/keyboard etc. A friend of mine has used something he called a KVM switch to hook up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to two different computers and, with the flick of a switch, go from one to the other. Is this feasible with a Mac mini and a PC? My understanding was that the Mac mini had been set up to take the non-USB PC monitors through their special ports with an adaptor (forgive me, I don't know any of the names) but, upon looking at the pictures, it doesn't seem like it'd be able to take a standard PC keyboard with the little weird purple plug in thing? I know there is both a KVM switch which can share a monitor and PC style mouse/keyboard, but I've also heard there are USB switches that do the same thing. Has anyone tried this, or knows enough to tell me if it's feasible or not? And forgive me if this has been posted here before, I wasn't really sure what to search for.

Cheers,

Tom.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

You will have to have a USB keyboard and a USB mouse. Your PC monitor will work fine with the mac mini, do you know if it uses a DVI connector or VGA? If it is DVI then a KVM will be kind of pricey, but if it is VGA then it will be pretty cheap and easy to find.
QUOTE Thanks
tomtheheretic

Umm...I don't suppose you'd be able to tell me how to tell the difference?
QUOTE Thanks
Tuned MP5T

I tried the KVM switch and it was a headache for me.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtheheretic
Umm...I don't suppose you'd be able to tell me how to tell the difference?

Go to apple's site, look at the pictures of the mini, thats a DVI port, if yours looks different, it is a VGA port.
QUOTE Thanks
tomtheheretic

Excellent, that's what I thought. Thanks so much!

Though why was it a headache, if I may ask, Tuned?

Cheers,

Tom.
QUOTE Thanks
Tuned MP5T

Switching back and fourth. Plus I paid for BT, so I wanted to use it.

I thought I could only use the monitor but then found out I had to share the keyboard and mouse also.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
You will have to have a USB keyboard and a USB mouse. Your PC monitor will work fine with the mac mini, do you know if it uses a DVI connector or VGA? If it is DVI then a KVM will be kind of pricey, but if it is VGA then it will be pretty cheap and easy to find.
Having successfully already done this, I can tell you you do not need a USB keyboard or USB mouse. If you have an existing PS/2 connection equipment, it will work thru a KVM.

AND the MacMini has the DVI port, BUT it comes with a DVI to VGA adapter.

So, that said.

My father-in-law bought a MacMini on my advice, and a Belkin 4-Port KVM switch at Frys Electronics. The KVM has audio AND USB ports on it. On the input side, you plug in your PS/2 keyboard and mouse, monitor, and speakers. On port 1 thru 4 you plug in your computers, in the case of the MacMini you just run a single USB cable from the KVM to one of the USB ports on the MacMini. USB carries the data of both keyboard and mouse from the KVM to the computer.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCT
it will work thru a KVM.
It will work with some, like the the specific belkin one you mentioned, but most don't work like that.

Your mini outputs DVI, but can output VGA with the included adapter, the same way PCs do, but if you monitor can accept both DVI and VGA input, you want to use DVI, the picture will be much better.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with usb ports on new Imac G5 | yet another problem »