New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Problem - G4 to iMac file transfer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Crankylurch

Crankylurch is on a distinguished road

Hi (first post please don't crucify me)

Writing this on behalf of a friend that has just bought an iMac (I don't have one but wish I did). She is having issues with transferring her files from her old G4 to the new iMac. There are both work and applications that she would like to transfer to the new machine.

She wishes to use the migration assistant. Now she would like to transfer the files over the firewire ports but the firewire port on the back of the iMac is different from the one on the G4 thus meaning that connecting cables can be a problem. Is there a special cable or adaptor that can be bought in order to transfer the files or is there an even easier way for the transfer of applications and files to take place?

There is probably a very easy way to do this, if anyone could give some advice or a link to how to do this we'd be very appreciative.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

There are 2 Firewire ports on the iMac, an 800 and a 400. They are next to each other. You need the 400 one.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Crankylurch

Eek is it really that simple? Is there any other way of doing it?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

It depends on what type of file.
What exactly does she want to transfer?

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Crankylurch

All I have been told is files and applications. I imagine if it was just files then they could have been transfered to a portable hard drive or burnt to DVDs. Don't have too much information really. May have to gather more.
QUOTE Thanks
Crankylurch

Actually the iMac only has the 800 firewire port and no 400 one so I can't use that one. Well to say I, I mean she. So previous advice won't work.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

?? How old is this iMac?

QUOTE Thanks
Crankylurch

It's brand new. It only has one 800 firewire port.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Wow. It seems Apple have somewhat shortsightedly done away with the Firewire 400 ports then. That's very recent, mine's 6 months old and thankfully has one.
You will need an adaptor then, yes.

QUOTE Thanks
Crankylurch

Adapter it is then. Does anyone know if the Migration Assistant will definitely work with this 400 to 800 Firewire hookup connection? Just want to know as it will be a waste of money for the adapter otherwise.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Just a thought, is the G4 Wi-Fi enabled?

QUOTE Thanks
Crankylurch

No sadly, I did suggest that but no wifi on G4. So cable seems the only way.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Ok. I will defer to my peers to see if 800-400 is possible.

QUOTE Thanks
Crankylurch

Surely there must be somebody on this site that can tell me whether it will work or not!?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac dual monitor clicking twice | G5 Audio Input Problems »