Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jun 15, 2009
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    17
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" A1150 Model 2.15 Ghz and Mac G4 Tower w/ Mirrored Drive Doors 1.25 Ghz
    Unhappy RAM won't show as installed
    I have a G4 Power Mac with Mirrored Drove Doors. I bought another gig of RAM for it today in the form of two 512 MB boards. I opened the tower and installed them nice and snug, making sure they were facing the correct direction. When I turned on my machine and went to my Apple- about this Mac menu, they RAM doesn't show up. It still says I only have 1 Gig.

    To my horror, I realized that I installed the RAM without disconnecting the power cord from the machine- A stupid mistake indeed. Is there a chance I fried my RAM or something?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,713
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by solomon415 View Post
    I have a G4 Power Mac with Mirrored Drove Doors. I bought another gig of RAM for it today in the form of two 512 MB boards. I opened the tower and installed them nice and snug, making sure they were facing the correct direction. When I turned on my machine and went to my Apple- about this Mac menu, they RAM doesn't show up. It still says I only have 1 Gig.

    To my horror, I realized that I installed the RAM without disconnecting the power cord from the machine- A stupid mistake indeed. Is there a chance I fried my RAM or something?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Assuming that the power cord thing didn't cause a problem...where did you get the ram?

    Are you 100% sure that it's Macintosh compatible?

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jun 15, 2009
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    17
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" A1150 Model 2.15 Ghz and Mac G4 Tower w/ Mirrored Drive Doors 1.25 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Assuming that the power cord thing didn't cause a problem...where did you get the ram?

    Are you 100% sure that it's Macintosh compatible?

    - Nick
    Yes. I bought it from a store that exclusively sells Mac products that I've been going to for years.

    Something far worse has now happened though. This is becoming a nightmare.
    I tried installing the RAM facing the other direction and my OS wouldn't boot up when I turned the machine on. I opened the tower back up, and turned the RAM boards back around. I noticed they were pretty hot. I let them cool down before I closed the unit back up, and turned it back on. This time I heard 3 simple low beeps and my drive light flashed. Still the OS won't boot. I've never had a single problem with this Mac and have kept it in immaculate condition. What went wrong?!?! Help!!!

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,713
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by solomon415 View Post
    Yes. I bought it from a store that exclusively sells Mac products that I've been going to for years.

    Something far worse has now happened though. This is becoming a nightmare.
    I tried installing the RAM facing the other direction and my OS wouldn't boot up when I turned the machine on. I opened the tower back up, and turned the RAM boards back around. I noticed they were pretty hot. I let them cool down before I closed the unit back up, and turned it back on. This time I heard 3 simple low beeps and my drive light flashed. Still the OS won't boot. I've never had a single problem with this Mac and have kept it in immaculate condition. What went wrong?!?! Help!!!
    I hate to say this...but if you really want to know what went wrong...it's that you decided to start poking around inside your computer without sufficient knowledge or experience!!!

    You should not be able to reverse the direction the ram is installed. It only fits in one way!

    It sounds like you are doing one wrong thing after another...before getting the advice of others!

    You may have already trashed your computer. Basically you did the equivalent of throwing a plugged in hair dryer into a tub of water while someone was in it!!!

    At this point what you should try to do is:

    - remove all of the ram
    - separate the ram into your "old" ram & your "new" ram
    - startup the computer with no ram installed, and see what happens
    - if the computer seems to start up ok (no beeps) then turn off the computer, and install one stick of your old ram. Then restart.
    - if it restarts ok...then install the 2nd stick of your old ram.

    If it starts up ok...post your results here...and we will proceed further.

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,980
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    To add to Pigoo's post, you can not turn DDR Ram around the wrong way and have it seat all the way down. One side would be sticking up. BUT if some of the pins on the one side did contact, you can blow the RAM, Mainboard, Ram Slot, ETC.

    Do what Pigoo suggested and get back to us.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jun 15, 2009
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    17
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" A1150 Model 2.15 Ghz and Mac G4 Tower w/ Mirrored Drive Doors 1.25 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I hate to say this...but if you really want to know what went wrong...it's that you decided to start poking around inside your computer without sufficient knowledge or experience!!!

    You should not be able to reverse the direction the ram is installed. It only fits in one way!

    It sounds like you are doing one wrong thing after another...before getting the advice of others!

    You may have already trashed your computer. Basically you did the equivalent of throwing a plugged in hair dryer into a tub of water while someone was in it!!!

    At this point what you should try to do is:

    - remove all of the ram
    - separate the ram into your "old" ram & your "new" ram
    - startup the computer with no ram installed, and see what happens
    - if the computer seems to start up ok (no beeps) then turn off the computer, and install one stick of your old ram. Then restart.
    - if it restarts ok...then install the 2nd stick of your old ram.

    If it starts up ok...post your results here...and we will proceed further.

    Good luck,

    - Nick


    Ok I realize that was deserved and I'm coming off as an extreme noob. But I have installed RAM before with no issues. Leaving the power cord in was stupid FOR SURE. But it was a mistake that I knew not to make and simply just forgot.

    Anyhow- Fortunately, I think I escaped relatively unscathed or got extremely lucky. I removed the two new 512 boards of Ram and was able to reboot just fine with my original 1 gig. It appears that the new RAM boards were causing the issue. I researched on Apple's website and 3 beeps means that no RAM banks passed memory testing. I'm now surmising that either the RAM boards I have are not compatible or are defective in some way. It was kind of hard for me to get them to lock in place, but I thought that was normal because I had the same issue when I installed last time.

    Anyway, I deserve to get flamed. I almost fried my lovely Power Mac. Here is the type of RAM I attempted to install:

    NANYA brand, DDR 333MHz, CL-2.5

    Any suggestions? Thanks again!

  7. #7

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,980
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Do they also say PC2700 on them? 333Mhz is what PC2700 RAM is.

    What store did you get them from? I know the bay area pretty well.

    Also be SURE that the little notch on the bottom of the stick that is Off Center lines up with the little rise in the ram slot.

  8. #8

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,713
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by solomon415 View Post
    Anyhow- Fortunately, I think I escaped relatively unscathed or got extremely lucky. I removed the two new 512 boards of Ram and was able to reboot just fine with my original 1 gig. It appears that the new RAM boards were causing the issue. I researched on Apple's website and 3 beeps means that no RAM banks passed memory testing. I'm now surmising that either the RAM boards I have are not compatible or are defective in some way. It was kind of hard for me to get them to lock in place, but I thought that was normal because I had the same issue when I installed last time.

    Anyway, I deserve to get flamed. I almost fried my lovely Power Mac. Here is the type of RAM I attempted to install:

    NANYA brand, DDR 333MHz, CL-2.5

    Any suggestions? Thanks again!
    I apologize for sounding harsh...but in the approximate 20 minutes between your two postings above you went from bad to worse before waiting for someone to answer your initial posting.

    I would return that new ram if you can...and purchase some new ram from these guys:

    Memory Upgrades for your Apple PowerMac G4 "FW 800" 2x1.25GHz at OtherWorldComputing.com

    They are a very good place to buy from.

    It's good to hear that your computer is still ok & no permanent damage was done. Again I apologize for being a bit harsh.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Jun 15, 2009
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    17
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" A1150 Model 2.15 Ghz and Mac G4 Tower w/ Mirrored Drive Doors 1.25 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Do they also say PC2700 on them? 333Mhz is what PC2700 RAM is.

    What store did you get them from? I know the bay area pretty well.

    Also be SURE that the little notch on the bottom of the stick that is Off Center lines up with the little rise in the ram slot.

    Yes, they say PC2700U. I got them from Marin Mac Shop

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Jun 15, 2009
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    17
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" A1150 Model 2.15 Ghz and Mac G4 Tower w/ Mirrored Drive Doors 1.25 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I apologize for sounding harsh...but in the approximate 20 minutes between your two postings above you went from bad to worse before waiting for someone to answer your initial posting.

    I would return that new ram if you can...and purchase some new ram from these guys:

    Memory Upgrades for your Apple PowerMac G4 "FW 800" 2x1.25GHz at OtherWorldComputing.com

    They are a very good place to buy from.

    It's good to hear that your computer is still ok & no permanent damage was done. Again I apologize for being a bit harsh.

    - Nick
    No need to apologize. I deserved it! I will definitely return this RAM and look into this website. Thank again!

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Jun 15, 2009
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    17
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" A1150 Model 2.15 Ghz and Mac G4 Tower w/ Mirrored Drive Doors 1.25 Ghz
    I really hope I didn't fry the 2 RAM slots by placing the RAM in there facing the wrong direction. I would assume they can't be individually replaced and I would have to replace the entire RAM board area...

  12. #12

    Mac SK's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 20, 2006
    Posts
    1,517
    In order to get the sticks in backwards they would have the wrong pin size your computer uses. I just looked at a stick of 2100,2700 and 3200 side by side the slot is way off center. Theres no way it could seat in backwards. If you put your old ram back in and booted up sounds like your luckly this time. Just dont change the sticks on carpet and its good to unplug the machine. Touch the metal case first before you touch the Ram. Take Care.

  13. #13

    Chilbear's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 14, 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    574
    Specs:
    2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
    Quote Originally Posted by solomon415 View Post
    I really hope I didn't fry the 2 RAM slots by placing the RAM in there facing the wrong direction. I would assume they can't be individually replaced and I would have to replace the entire RAM board area...
    You can check out this possibility buy moving the now "good" ram into the open slots - one a time.

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Jun 15, 2009
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    17
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" A1150 Model 2.15 Ghz and Mac G4 Tower w/ Mirrored Drive Doors 1.25 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilbear View Post
    You can check out this possibility buy moving the now "good" ram into the open slots - one a time.
    Awesome idea. I'll check it out right now. Carefully, of course...

  15. #15


    Member Since
    Jun 15, 2009
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    17
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" A1150 Model 2.15 Ghz and Mac G4 Tower w/ Mirrored Drive Doors 1.25 Ghz
    Ok just installed my old RAM successfully in both of the other RAM slots. They are working fine. Whew!! thx for the advice.. Had to have been the new RAM!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bootcamp doesn't show in startup disk after installed paragon ntfs
    By timxua in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2010, 09:54 AM
  2. Dock won't show up, side window in finder windows won't be modified
    By Maiana in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 09:11 AM
  3. Installed new RAM...now what?
    By sunshine1686 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 06:30 AM
  4. Installed Ram
    By hairlesswookiee in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 10:27 AM
  5. just installed 1 GB more of RAM
    By TomyDingo in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-31-2006, 02:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •