New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Force Open a CD drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

I have a PC disk that won't display the icon on the desktop... (it happens sometimes).... is there a way to get the CD drive door to open without restarting and hitting the button continuously? Some command I can use?

I was able to open this CD on my iBook at home but now that I'm at work and put it in my G3, it won't display.
The only files on this CD are stock photos....

HELP!
QUOTE Thanks
sonofapplepm

Here's a post that might help!

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...8427#post98427

If it works you can THANK MACMAN!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The thing that has always worked for me with CD's that will not show up on the desktop is, Go to utilities and launch Disc utility and when it comes up, click on the CDROM and there is an Eject there. You should see it. give it a try.
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

Quote:
Here's a post that might help!

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sh...98427#post98427

If it works you can THANK MACMAN!
Nope, I have the "insert" disk, not a tray, no pin hole to use a paperclip either...

Quote:
The thing that has always worked for me with CD's that will not show up on the desktop is, Go to utilities and launch Disc utility and when it comes up, click on the CDROM and there is an Eject there. You should see it. give it a try.
I will give that a try next time it happens.
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Texasmeat

Texasmeat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5

restart the machine and get into open firmware (hold apple+option+o+f) once in open firmware type: eject cd. The tray will open. You can either keep booting by following the onscreen instructions or restart and it'll bott automatically.
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACyMouse
Nope, I have the "insert" disk, not a tray, no pin hole to use a paperclip either...
I will give that a try next time it happens.
Thanks!
Yeah..I know, that's why i started that one and just didn't piggy back yours ('cause I knew they were different types). Hope you figure out something that works.
QUOTE Thanks
b16crx69

b16crx69 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G4 Dual 1.25/768mb/240g

I believe you can just restart the computer while holding the mouse down and that should open the tray.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac anolog boards | G5 Inserting CD Problem »