Thread: Looking for good advice
09-10-2009, 08:17 PM #1
Looking for good advice
- Member Since
- Sep 10, 2009
(This message and request for help is going to be long.....winded. If you are not interested, please don't read it. I don't want to offend you or waste your time.)
I'm an Apple newbie. A PC user forever, since Windows 3.1 anyways (prior to that it was DOS...Xtree ANYBODY?). I've been using Photoshop since 1995 and have made digital art a hobby. Always a Mac fan, just never been able to commit to Apple due to requiring a PC for work specific programs, which are not available and can not be emulated effectively. Another reason that I never purchased a Mac is because I did not want to re-invest in software. That being said, I am very well behind the curve, and a little bit out of date software wise now for the PC (yes I am still a sucker who pays for software).
I'll be honest, I rock a Dell Dimension 9100 that I bought about 5 years ago. It has been the best desktop computer I've owned. It still works great with....my old software. I don't know how it would do with new programs though, so it is time to upgrade. Mobile wise, I have an Acer Aspire One, which is a well built, underpowered netbook, that I take with me when I travel.
I would like a Mac to do creative work on, such as editing videos and photos.
One of my goals is to shoot a feature film and edit it. I expect to spend a decent amount on a prosumer camcoder like a Canon XL2 or something along that line. I can justify a couple thousand dollar price tag for a good camera. This would be a big purchase for me. Very big. I have trouble though justifying that much money for a computer. My Dimension, a P4 3GHZ, 2GB Ram, 256MB ATI, was $500 refurbished.
Purchasing new software is also going to cost a lot.
If I invest a good amount into a Mac, is now the time to do it, or should I wait for the new Macs to come out? From my understanding they have been out since 2006.
The other worry is the shift in OS. It seems everything is changing very quickly and I am afraid that the current OS is going to be completely redone from scratch within the next year or two. I'm talking about a big change as more functions become cloud based.
I would just like some opinions and guidance on whether or not to purchase now, or wait for the next development (I understand that technology always changes and if you wait for the next thing, you will always be waiting, but do worry about significant changes occurring).
Should I wait for the next version of Mac Pro's? Or go with one now?
Or should I invest less in an iMac to get aquainted with Macs and later upgrade to a Mac Pro when the new ones come out?
I appreciate your feedback.
09-10-2009, 11:49 PM #2
If you want to do motion video you need a Mac tower that you can upgrade in the future.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Thrillhouse85 in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 3Last Post: 07-11-2010, 08:51 PM
By MrTricky in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 1Last Post: 02-18-2009, 01:41 PM
By daredawg3583 in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 10Last Post: 01-18-2007, 12:29 AM