New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 Freezing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

l2edXlll

My computer keeps freezing and its getting annoying does anyone know what i can do to stop this??? I have a power mac g5 :yinyang:
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

a little more information would be helpful.

when does it happen?
computer specs?

QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

Put it next to the radiator and this should (hopefully) cure your problem.

QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light

mod note:

Thread Moved.
Title Changed.

QUOTE Thanks
TTheInfamous1

TTheInfamous1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgefusion
Put it next to the radiator and this should (hopefully) cure your problem.
HAhahha... That was good.

Seriously though. What do you mean? Whats happening and what are you running?

TJ
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Like was said, we need more information. What Mac is it, what OS. What are you doing when it freezes? What programs are you running. Does it freeze the same place every time doing the same thing?
QUOTE Thanks
l2edXlll

ok sometime i just be using computer like aim, safari, yahoo, and sometimes filling out things then it just start to freeze .... then i would just turn it off then turn it back on
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

since you didnt seem to understand what we were specifically asking for...

what model G5? 1.6, 1.8, (2x1.8), (2x2.0) or (2x2.5)
what version of OS X are you running?
how much memory do you have?

this can all be found under Apple Menu >> About This Mac

QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

error: replace user and press any key to continue. that might solve the problem
QUOTE Thanks
l2edXlll

Mac OS X Version 10.3.8
Processor 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5
Memory 512 MB DDR SDRAM

and no its not that even if i were to delete everything off the computer and reinstall everything by this i mean start all over with just the programs that it comes in with...it will still frezze
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

Then it sounds like a hardware problem ... can you swap out the ram?
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

yes agreed it sounds like you have bad ram
QUOTE Thanks
l2edXlll

yea probaly how much does it cost to get a new one?
QUOTE Thanks
MadSkillzMan

MadSkillzMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual G5 powermac

Oh man this is not a computer guy! nevertheless ill try to help. HOw much? im Guessing ( i could be wrong) 50-60$. you need PC3200 DDR 400 ram.

If you know a computer smart friend, see if they can test the ram for you in a PC. They like to act REAL dumb with bad ram.

This involves taking the side panel off, and the ram is alittle stick held in by 2 clips.

But just for stupidity sake, see if this happens when you move it to a different outlet.....seriously, ive spent 3 weeks working on a server, replaced EVERYTHING including motherboard, turns out the outlet had a bad ground. ugh did that SUCK. the comp would just run sometimes for 3 minutes, other times an hour or 2.

Also, does the freezing happen more often the mroe you use it? Like will it work for 20minutes, then like 7 or 8, then like 3 or 4? COuld be a heat issue....not saying YOU did anything, but maybe a fan is weak or a heatsink is loose
QUOTE Thanks
l2edXlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSkillzMan
Oh man this is not a computer guy! nevertheless ill try to help. HOw much? im Guessing ( i could be wrong) 50-60$. you need PC3200 DDR 400 ram.

If you know a computer smart friend, see if they can test the ram for you in a PC. They like to act REAL dumb with bad ram.

This involves taking the side panel off, and the ram is alittle stick held in by 2 clips.

But just for stupidity sake, see if this happens when you move it to a different outlet.....seriously, ive spent 3 weeks working on a server, replaced EVERYTHING including motherboard, turns out the outlet had a bad ground. ugh did that SUCK. the comp would just run sometimes for 3 minutes, other times an hour or 2.

Also, does the freezing happen more often the mroe you use it? Like will it work for 20minutes, then like 7 or 8, then like 3 or 4? COuld be a heat issue....not saying YOU did anything, but maybe a fan is weak or a heatsink is loose

its not like that there are times when its alright it freezes every so often theres not really a pattern like know if i use netscape it doesnt freeze as much as often as i use safari but really who the **** can i find to help me with this if i cant fix it'll be hard to find someone that does and that i can trust.... :yinyang: :yinyang: :ninja:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Second IDE device? | New HD Makes a High Pitched Noise »