New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

When Apple will change Mac Pros?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ENRICOTE

ENRICOTE is on a distinguished road

I know it is difficult -even impossible- to know.... but:

Anybody can estimate when Apple could change the Mac Pro devices?
Is it not a long time from the last change?

Thanks, everybody
QUOTE Thanks
mikekan

mikekan is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENRICOTE View Post
Anybody can estimate when Apple could change the Mac Pro devices?
Is it not a long time from the last change?

Thanks, everybody
Apple allready changed the Mac Pro's 5 months ago!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Personally feel it is unlikely. There has been no change in the Xeon lineup.
The chips being used in the Mac Pro are still at the top end of the 95 watt line, both in the single and dual quad core machines.

In order for them to make a move, they would have to step up to the 130 watt processors. Don't see that happening. As far as I am aware, there has not been any price drops from Intel on these processors either.

That leaves video. Could we see an upgrade here - possible.

So, time to buy?

Time to buy is when you need it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Thread moved to more appropriate forum. Please read before posting in Rumors & Reports.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I see that first mod is falling down on his job.

Tough to get good help nowadays.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I'd love for newer quicker Pro's to come along. I've been wanting to snag a previous gen on the cheap. Honestly though, how much quicker does one really need to make these right now? Unluss you are doing heavy DMU or structure studies, they have the capacity to eat just about anything.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
I'd love for newer quicker Pro's to come along. I've been wanting to snag a previous gen on the cheap. Honestly though, how much quicker does one really need to make these right now? Unluss you are doing heavy DMU or structure studies, they have the capacity to eat just about anything.
The 1st generation Mac Pros were launched in August,2006, a second version of the Mac Pro was released January, 2008, and the current versions of the Mac Pro came out March, 2009.

The release of a 4th version of the Mac Pro may or may not depress prices further...because even the 2006 model in 2009 is still a very capable computer.

So if you're looking for a "cheaper" Mac Pro...the 2006 model is the one you want.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Scott Baret

Scott Baret has a spectacular aura about

I am hoping for a case redesign soon. The current design, which I refer to as the "cheese grater" due to its holes, has been in use since the Power Mac G5 came out in 2003. I've never really cared for the "cheese grater" and think it should gain an appearance that looks more like the mirrored door G4 except with brushed aluminum in place of translucent plastic.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Baret View Post
I am hoping for a case redesign soon. The current design, which I refer to as the "cheese grater" due to its holes, has been in use since the Power Mac G5 came out in 2003. I've never really cared for the "cheese grater" and think it should gain an appearance that looks more like the mirrored door G4 except with brushed aluminum in place of translucent plastic.
I'm not 100% sure...but I do believe that the "Cheese Grater" look is functional...in that it aids with cooling.

But I do agree...Apple usually doesn't stick with a design for so long (6 years so far).

But then again...Apple probably doesn't sell nearly as many Mac Pros as iMacs & laptops...so maybe they're devoting more resources to the design of iMac's & laptops.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
carlyse_09

carlyse_09 is on a distinguished road

This is one thing i love about apple.They doesn't stick for long.They make changes based on the users expectation and need.So better have your gadget early before it past.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac system crash | Replacement Graphics Card »