New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Powermac G5 Or Mac Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joelyoung94

joelyoung94 is an unknown at this point

Im debating whether to buy a powermac g5 with dual core 2ghz processer and 8gb ram and 500gb hd or to get the basic mac mini.
I will be plugging it into a full hd 32'' lg tv. I will also buy the mac keyboard and mouse.
I am new to macs and have never owned one before i know the powermac cant run snow leopard but it has great spec, will i be happy just on leopard? Im only 15 and will be using stuff like imovie itunes safari garageband and all the other mac stuff hopefully for games.
Thank You and i look foward to hearing some good advice.

-Joel

Edit- Also is there anyway i could change the processor or update the powermac g5 and hopefully be able to use snow leopard once ive done that.
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

No brainer bro, Mac Mini all the way!

BTW: G5s will never be able to run SL. Faster CPUs are expensive and very rare for these too.
QUOTE Thanks
joelyoung94

ok Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelyoung94 View Post
Im only 15 and will be using stuff like imovie itunes safari garageband and all the other mac stuff hopefully for games.
Dude...are you living in some sort of "time dilation chamber"?

In a thread at 8am this morning you were 14 years old:

Powermac G5 - Snow leopard

Now in this thread at 11:47am (4 hours later) you're 15 years old.

How old will you be in 4 hours from now (4pm)?

Does this "time dilation chamber" work in reverse?...cause I wouldn't mind taking off a few years!

Just teasing,

- Nick

p.s. Buy the Mac Mini like I mentioned in your other thread!

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Mini all the way... though I'd love to get my PM G5 running again (bad logic board... too much smoke and crap), the mini is now equally capable (probably better for graphics, sadly), and the processor is x86 which means it can run SL and the other future OS releases (hopefully).

Just another note too, the G5 isn't dual core... it's a dual processor machine... i.e. there are 2 processors on 2 different chips. Dual core means 2 cores each at XGHz each but on the same piece of silicon, often with a shared L2 cache.
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

^

The later PowerMac G5s were indeed available with dual-core single processors. The quad PowerMac ran 2x dual-cores @ 2.5GHz. These machines had DDR2, PCIe x16 graphics.

Older ones ran single core G5 chips and were available with single and dual processors. These machines ran DDR400 RAM and used AGP x8 graphics.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
^

The later PowerMac G5s were indeed available with dual-core single processors. The quad PowerMac ran 2x dual-cores @ 2.5GHz. These machines had DDR2, PCIe x16 graphics.

Older ones ran single core G5 chips and were available with single and dual processors. These machines ran DDR400 RAM and used AGP x8 graphics.
Excellent point! The last generation of the G5 lineup was "dual or quad" core.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Joel get the Dual Core, but make sure it is a Dual Core with the DDR2 memory and PCIE graphic slots. Minis are like portable typewriters - toys for us guys with big mitts. You will get a lot of fun learning with it, changing graphic cards, superdrives, memory modules, PCIE cards and on and on.

Seriously depends on what you want to do with the machine. A Dual Core with Leopard will surely do me for the next couple of years at least.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
^

+1 point for you... I had totally forgotten about that release.
QUOTE Thanks
joelyoung94

yeah the one i looked at is a dual core G5 and btw nick i did say i was 14 earlyier lol it was my birthday on the 28th august and i forgot that i was 15 now instead of 14. PS I am very glad that I don't age 1 year each 4 hours.
Im still in debate just thing i need to think about but it has been great hearing from you guys and your thoughts.
One point is i have coped without macs latest os for 15 years it wouldn't make much difference if i stayed on leopard with a nice bit of 8gb ram.
Personally i would just like a mac pro that i can fully upgrade and learn loads about computers.
But thanks everyone
-Joel
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wireless network collapsed | PCI / PCI-X on PowerMac G4/G5 & SCITEX TAXI2-PCI-card(s) »