New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Just picked up a G3 iMac for a tenner - good deal?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Hi guys. We went to a car boot sale today, and lo an behold, and somewhat bizarrely! someone was selling a nice little Graphite G3 iMac, with a 400Mhz processor and 40 gig HD, for the princely sum of 11.
I knocked her down to 10 and bought it for my 10 year old daughter to get more acquainted with Macs (without knicking my Powerbook!)
It has Tiger 10.4.11 running (and a load of software on it, no doubt of a dubious nature - CS2 for example), but it's in great condition and it all checked out under FSCK.
Do you reckon it's a good deal then? I'm pretty stoked to be honest, I reckon it's worth more, even now.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

That's about what it's worth, I bought one three years ago for $20.

By the way, what the heck is a car boot sale? Haha
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Was that G3 anywhere near Tring, and was the girl who sold it a blond called Natalie?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 5K, MBP 15" Retina, iPhone 6 128Gb, iPad Air 128Gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKhikerVW View Post
By the way, what the heck is a car boot sale? Haha
Basically a yard sale, out of your car. Generally in a large open parking lot with a few others...

Anyways, for 10 pound can hardly be considered a bad deal!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Hi guys. We went to a car boot sale today, and lo an behold, and somewhat bizarrely! someone was selling a nice little Graphite G3 iMac, with a 400Mhz processor and 40 gig HD, for the princely sum of £11.
I knocked her down to £10...
Congrats on your G3 iMac purchase!! Although I'm not going to say getting the lady to come down one whole £ pound is very much!

In case you didn't know...if you want to setup your G3 iMac for wireless networking...that you're of course going to need an Airport card...but a lesser known detail is you need to purchase an Airport card adapter that looks like this:

By the way...now that you have gotten it home, and have had a chance to plug it...does it work ok?

Enjoy that new Mac,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Was that G3 anywhere near Tring, and was the girl who sold it a blond called Natalie?
No it wasn't, but yes her name was Natalie according to the username on the iMac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Congrats on your G3 iMac purchase!! Although I'm not going to say getting the lady to come down one whole pound is very much!

In case you didn't know...if you want to setup your G3 iMac for wireless networking...that you're of course going to need an Airport card...but a lesser known detail is you need to purchase an Airport card adapter that looks like this:

By the way...now that you have gotten it home, and have had a chance to plug it...does it work ok?

Enjoy that new Mac,

- Nick
Thanks for that. I didn't know about the adaptor, but as it's going in my daughters bedroom, she won't be having net access yet anyway. Can't trust that she won't find "bad" things.
Anyway, it works perfectly, so 10 seems good enough. I looked on eBay and there are similar models selling for 30.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Anyway, it works perfectly, so £10 seems good enough. I looked on eBay and there are similar models selling for £30.
I definitely agree that £10 was a good price...just from a negotiation standpoint you only got the seller down 9.1%. ...but the £11 starting price probably didn't leave very much negotiating room.

If you got a keyboard & mouse with it...then that was definitely worth it. A lot of times the really inexpensive G3 iMacs I've seen don't always come with a keyboard & mouse.

Yes...e-Bay prices for G3 iMacs will definitely be higher...then add in shipping (if it's not close enough to pickup in person)! Shipping costs are what really kills the deal for me.

Congrats again,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Yep, keyboard and mouse included. The mouse is different to what I'm used to, being a 2 button job with a scroll wheel in the centre. Good though, still lights up and everything, a testimony to Apple's construction, after all, it must be 9 or 10 years old.
The only thing it doesn't have is a disc burning drive, just read only, but that's easily overcome, we have 2 other Mac's after all!

QUOTE Thanks
mtnflatpicker

mtnflatpicker is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a deal to me also....i also just got a tangerine G3 imac at a yard sale last month...15 bucks and works great..immediately yanked out the ancient dell pc we had as a desktop and voila an all mac household...ordered up an older airport extreme base station for cheap from Wegener Media...got it next day and was wireless to the wife's G4 Ibook...Man i am glad to be rid of the pcs in my house..
Byron
QUOTE Thanks
Mackers

Mackers is on a distinguished road

For those not in the know, a "boot" is a car trunk. Hence, a boot sale is selling things out of the trunk of a car. In US, we'd say flea market. Elsewhere, "thieves market." At current exchange British 10 pounds come to about $16.50. Hard to lose with any working machine at that price! There are actually refurbishers online selling "new" tangerine (5-flavor) i-Macs for $300. My girls grew up with aging Macs, Performas and finally, a shared Indigo iMac on their desks, before going off to college with shiny iBooks, their first all new computers. Guess what the Harvard student likes to do when she gets home on break? Fire up the old original Mac, the one with the separate toaster-oven size (30 Meg!) hard-disk, and knock off a couple of rounds of "Hangman" for old times sake! Your daughter may not be able to do much in the way of world wide web access with that machine, or appreciate the new Unix-based Mac operating systems, but so what? She'll have a ton of fun with a machine that's bullet-proof by virtue of being disposable! You sound like a great Dad...
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
For those not in the know, a "boot" is a car trunk. Hence, a boot sale is selling things out of the trunk of a car. In US, we'd say flea market. Elsewhere, "thieves market." At current exchange British 10 pounds come to about $16.50. Hard to lose with any working machine at that price! There are actually refurbishers online selling "new" tangerine (5-flavor) i-Macs for $300. My girls grew up with aging Macs, Performas and finally, a shared Indigo iMac on their desks, before going off to college with shiny iBooks, their first all new computers. Guess what the Harvard student likes to do when she gets home on break? Fire up the old original Mac, the one with the separate toaster-oven size hard-disk, and knock off a couple of rounds of "Hangman" for old times sake! Your daughter may not be able to do much in the way of world wide web access with that machine, or appreciate the new Unix-based Mac operating systems, but so what? She'll have a ton of fun with a machine that's bullet-proof by virtue of being disposable! You sound like a great Dad...
Thank you, I try. Welcome to the forum, stick around!

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

The big query is why louishen asked his question about Natalie?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

For our Brit contributors, here's my two bobs' worth.

First, a point of clarification - Kevriano states "graphite" to describe his G3 400 MHz iMac. I wonder if it's the model that I believe Apple called 'charcoal', because the (later) graphite (which is more a vague blue colour) model was 600 MHz. [Source: Mactracker]

That aside, slot-loading iMacs are rock-solid, and for £10 (NZ$30) it's a steal, well done! [I paid NZ$180 (£60) for my G3 600 MHz iMac]. Enjoy your purchase Kevriano, you won't regret it.

PS - as HarryB has asked, just who is/was this mysterious Natalie? The suspense is killing me!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
First, a point of clarification - Kevriano states "graphite" to describe his G3 400 MHz iMac. I wonder if it's the model that I believe Apple called 'charcoal', because the (later) graphite (which is more a vague blue colour) model was 600 MHz. [Source: Mactracker]
At one time (long before this thread) I also was a little confused by this...but there actually were two "Graphite" G3 iMac models...one was a 400mhz & one was a 600mhz:

400mhz Graphite: Apple iMac G3/400

600mhz Graphite: Apple iMac G3/600

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And still hughvane and I hang by our suspenders?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Raiding my Mac Pro, advice please! | setup on two optical drives »