New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - fresh install of OSX, mac wont start

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

terry b

terry b is on a distinguished road

Hi guys all new to mac's so please bear with me !
Anyway as a starting point i was given a G4 digital audio less hard drive, i managed to get a 30g drive for 5, well i have fitted it, think i have formated it ? and got the software, OSX10.2.1 to load, however when the mac rebooted all that i get on the screen is a grey screen with a circle with a diaganel line thro it, it then dont move from that, tried to find out what this symble means but cant find anything anywhere, if i have done something wrong can someone tell me what to do from the begining, pref step by step if poss, i am really starting to get fed up with it al now, i have done everything four times now but still get the same symble, any help would be most apprciated.
thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Ok. How did you go about formatting the HD?
I would try reformatting first, from the disc utility app on the install disc. You need to format to Mac OS Extended.
Did you get any messages on screen when you made the install?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
terry b

OK, heres where i am, i have never worked on a mac so am working blind !
What i have is the following :

Mac G4 Digital audio, never had a hard drive but i had a working spare from my old pc 80g and i also got a 30g mac drive off a friend

The discs i have are : Mac osx install disc 1 & 2 says on them version 10.2.1
apple hardware test - powermac G4 sw version 1.2.2
software restore disc 1 - 4 says mac os9 and mac osx applications, mac os version 9.2.2

What i did was install the drive, insert the disc marked Powermac G4 mac osx install disc 1, pressed down the C button while booting, then followed the on screen instrudctions, not sure if i had done things right or wrong ? it looks like it is loading the software as there is a status bar, it took about 20 mins then the comp shuts down and reboots, when the screen comes up all i get is a grey screen with a small circle with a diaganal line through it, i cant get it to do anything else, i put the 2nd disc in and rebot but get the same if i hold down C of not, so i am unsure if i have done anything wrong, i have tried 3 drives and get the same every time so i know its not a drive issue ?

Any help would make me a happy man and regain confidence in macs
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Sounds like the install discs are the silver grey restore discs from another machine? If so they will not install. If they are the correct disc, after booting go to Utilities on the menu bar, then Disk Utility and if you see the drive select it and run Repair Disk and then format to Mac OS Extended (Journalled). If all is well you should be able to load Jaguar X.2.1.

If the disc are from another machine no good news alas. Also if the machine has never ran OS X in any version, somehow you will have to install from the OS 9 disc, go to the Apple web site and download firmware upgrade 4.2.8 prior to installing OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
terry b

Ok once i had d/l firmware upgrade 4.2.8 i take it i save it to disc ? i can only do this on my pc, will this be OK ?
how do i update firmware from disc ? do i just boot holding C as before ?

All the other stuff you mention is what i did, seemed to load all the OS on the drive but once you reboot you get this circle with line thro it and thats it, if i put the osx disc back in and boot from that disc i can see that the information on the drive says osx installed because the size has dropped and it says used space is down by some 1,8gig
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

1.8GB would be the formatting and driver installs. Don't think it will work on a PC. As stated you need to be booted from OS 9, download, install and use the programmer's button which is the only time you will ever use it.

Here is the link with instructions:-

Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.2.8: Information and Download
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

It looks like your past this but check the jumper on the hard drive that its set to master.
QUOTE Thanks
terry b

hard drives is set to master. how do i get it to boot from os9 ??? its not installed on the drive
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

terry I guess you have to purchase OS 9 discs. Look at eBay or if you have a MUG near you they will help (Macintosh User Group).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Still 'viable'? | G5 Will not sleep/shut down »