New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G5 Audio Input Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kevinc5680

kevinc5680 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, 250GB Hard Drive, 4GB RAM, GeForce FX5200, iPhone 3G 8GB

I was attempting to record some vinyl records to my computer when I noticed that my audio line-in wasn't showing up under System Preferences. I have everything I need to get my records onto the computer, but now I can't seem to get my Mac to recognize this input signal. When looking at the back of my PowerMac, I noticed that only the Optical Output has a red light lit up, not the optical input which is making me think that the optical/analog inputs are not functioning properly. Is this a hardware issue or am I just missing something. I posted a picture of what is showing up in System Preferences. Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If the optical out has a red light showing with nothing in the port, it is stuck in the on position.

It happens on occasion. Only once in 2 1/2+ yrs on my MBP.
Use a toothpick or something similar and just kind of wiggle it around in the port to turn it off. It doesn't require any pressure, you're not trying to break anything.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
kevinc5680

Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, 250GB Hard Drive, 4GB RAM, GeForce FX5200, iPhone 3G 8GB

I tried wiggling a pen cap and a paper clip and the red light is still on. Would plugging in an optical cable and removing it help? I don't have a cable here, but I could get one and try.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sometimes plugging a cable in and out a few times works, but the toothpick method has seemed to be more effective usually.
Give it a couple more shots. If not, you may need to take it in.

QUOTE Thanks
kevinc5680

Will the Optical-out function like this. Or will I need to release the on feature first?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

When it happened to me, my headphones still worked when I plugged them in.

QUOTE Thanks
kevinc5680

Any recommendation about the analog line-in?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Even though you see no red light on the Input it could be the same issue.
QUOTE Thanks
kevinc5680

Could the issue with the Optical being in the 'On' setting be the reason my analog input isnt working?
QUOTE Thanks
kevinc5680

Any other suggestions or pointers?
QUOTE Thanks
rcboxer

rcboxer is on a distinguished road

I am having the same exact problem with my G5. Red light on the optical line out and the audio line in input is not working. The tooth pick method has not worked for me
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem - G4 to iMac file transfer | Apple Hardware Test »