New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Need a new hard drive for iMac G5 17"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HenryLH

HenryLH is on a distinguished road

I just found out my hard drive is just about shot in my iMac G5 and I need to replace it. Apple has what looks to be a pretty detailed set of instructions for replacing a hard drive and I am curious if this is something I can do myself to save $100 or if I should have a professional do the install. I have not purchased a hard drive yet and am also a little unsure of what kind I need (current HD is 160GB) or where I should get it from. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLH View Post
I just found out my hard drive is just about shot in my iMac G5 and I need to replace it. Apple has what looks to be a pretty detailed set of instructions for replacing a hard drive and I am curious if this is something I can do myself to save $100 or if I should have a professional do the install. I have not purchased a hard drive yet and am also a little unsure of what kind I need (current HD is 160GB) or where I should get it from. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Although replacing the hard drive in an iMac is not really a user suggested activity...it can be done if you have reasonable mechanical skills...and know exactly what your doing.

To help...you could go to "You-Tube" (youtube.com) and do a search for iMac hard drive replacement videos.

I'm sure there are a bunch...and as you know...a picture is worth a thousand words...so a video has got to be worth a million!

After watching the video(s)...you can decide if you think you can do it..or if a professional should do it for you.

Good luck,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
HenryLH

HenryLH is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I found a video that matches apples instructions and it seems pretty straight forward. Any suggestions on what kind/brand of hard drive I should go for?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLH View Post
Thanks, I found a video that matches apples instructions and it seems pretty straight forward. Any suggestions on what kind/brand of hard drive I should go for?
Honestly I don't think there is a big difference among hard drives today. There are 3-4 major brands out there, and if you ask 4 people...you will probably get 4 different answers.

I would go to:

Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC

...and see what they offer in terms of price & size. These guys are a good place to shop, and you can be sure everything will be compatible with your iMac....they have great customer service as well.

Glad to hear the videos helped, and gave you the confidence to do it yourself!

Good luck...post again after you do the hard drive replacement. I would be interested what you thought of the procedure.

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. I'm not sure of your location (if your located in the US or not)...in case the website I suggested is not the best for you to order from...if not, it should give you a better idea of what drives are available.
QUOTE Thanks
flylow

flylow is on a distinguished road

I did mine last weekend with an easy trip to the local Fry's. bought a samsung 1.5TB drive and installed it without incident. Just read some user's instruction manual i found online. Works great. $100
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Graphics card upgrade for G4 Mirror door that supports OpenGL | How to Kill a G3 »