Thread: G3 question building question
08-30-2009, 03:50 PM #1G3 question building question
I see that the fastest Ruby Red G3 was 450Mhz. Want to get the fastest G3 possible.
Which would be both easier and cheaper
1. Buy a G3 in red (maybe with only a working monitor) and find the parts for the 600 or 700 Mhz and put it it (along with a DVD Drive, memory and larger HD)
2. Get the 600 or 700 Mhz and try and find replacement bezels in red, I've seen them from time to time. Then install with a DVD Drive, memory and larger HD.
08-30-2009, 04:37 PM #2
So it seems like your 1st priority is a RED G3 iMac! Then secondly to have it be as fast as possible.
Both of your ideas are kind of the same thing...which basically involves getting a working 600 or 700mhz G3 iMac...and swapping internal parts or external housing/bezel's.
I guess the key question is...are the internal parts or the external housing "swappable".
I happen to have a 400mhz Red G3 iMac, and a 600mhz Graphite G3 iMac. I have never tried swapping the parts...but it would seem easier to me (in your case)...to find a good working 600 or 700mhz G3 iMac.
Then you would just have to swap the:
- rear colored housing of the iMac
- the slot-loading CD-rom bezel
- the colored speaker grills
- and the colored Apple logo & accent mark from the top of the iMac housing
I'm pretty darn sure all of the these parts will swap ok...the only one I'm not 100% sure of would the the large colored rear computer housing...and that just because I'm not 100% sure the screw holes are the same. I'm pretty sure they are.
That would be my thoughts,
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By RattlerMac in forum Apple DesktopsReplies: 5Last Post: 06-06-2012, 11:51 AM
By jcragg in forum Apple NotebooksReplies: 2Last Post: 01-21-2009, 08:04 AM
By bingwalker in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 3Last Post: 07-10-2007, 06:19 AM
By vicariousgeorge in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 1Last Post: 03-02-2007, 12:13 AM
By deus_ex_machina in forum Schweb's LoungeReplies: 10Last Post: 08-15-2005, 04:30 PM