New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - im g3 hard drive upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cablett_ndv

cablett_ndv is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Pro Dual 2.66Ghz, mini 2.26Ghz, iMac G3 400Mhz

I recently received an iMac g3 with 400mhz and OS 9.2.2. I wanted to upgrade the hard drive. Can some one please tell me what to look for when searching for a hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
jpdemers

jpdemers is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini on steroids

The ATA controller in the G3 is limited to 127 GB of storage, so don't waste money on anything much bigger. Unless you're doing seriously drive-intensive work (not likely on a G3!), you'll never notice the differences in performance between the various makes and models -- I suggest hitting eBay for an IDE drive in the 120-140 GB range. They're cheap enough, so go for a new one if you can find one (a used drive could be years from failing, or only days away.)
QUOTE Thanks
cablett_ndv

Besides it being IDE and less than 127 gb's is there anything else specific (rpm, cache, brand) that I should be looking for?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

In G3 days installed 7200 RPM Seagates, and did not notice any problems with heat. All leading brands of 3.5" IDE or PATA drives are good. Cache will not be so important with the slower G3 processors.

Replace the Hard Drive on a G3 iMac (iMac G3 DV)

Follow the arrowed next screen after each step.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablett_ndv View Post
I recently received an iMac g3 with 400mhz and OS 9.2.2. I wanted to upgrade the hard drive. Can some one please tell me what to look for when searching for a hard drive?
Not sure how comfortable you are with taking computers apart. The G3 iMac All-In-One isn't super hard to do a hard drive upgrade...but it's not super easy either.

If you haven't done it before...read up on it first. If you have done it before...then ignore my post!

Good luck,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
cablett_ndv

Well I've already taken the g3 apart and was able to easily put it back together. Just wanted to make sure I purchase the right hard drive. Thanks for the feedback.

Also is EIDE and IDE the same? And will both work with the iMac G3?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Good work and yes the drives are the same. Western Digital, as a marketing ploy, used the term Enhanced IDE, and it stuck as EIDE.
QUOTE Thanks
cablett_ndv

Thats what i needed to know. Thanks a lot. This is a great forum.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablett_ndv View Post
Thats what i needed to know. Thanks a lot. This is a great forum.
I was going to say the same as Harry (he beat me to it)!

Here's a quick read for a little extra info:

What is EIDE? - A Word Definition From the Webopedia Computer Dictionary

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Dont forget about installing the right firmware for your imac on a clean HD.
If you do not have the orange system disc that came with the imac. You need to download the firmware for it. If you plan to put OS 10 on it this is super important. For OS 10 the firmware boot rom is 4.1.9 on a slot load imac.
QUOTE Thanks
cablett_ndv

Oh thats great that you mentioned that cause I am planning on installing OS X. So what do I have to do to get the new hard drive ready and able to install OS X?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

You will need to format the drive using the 9.2.2 install disc, Mac OS Extended (Journalled) is the go. Then install 9.2.2. Go to the link below to see how to up[grade the firmware. Read the instructions, and do the download and run the program.

iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9: Information and Download

After restarting using the programmer's button, then install OS X. You then have the option of running both Classic and OS X, or OS X solely. OS X.4 Tiger will run very nicely if you max out the RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
cablett_ndv

So I have to install the old OS (9.2.2) on the new hard drive and then install the new OS X? Also my iMac has no internet browser and the internet and software update in the control panel are disabled. So how would I download and install the firmware on the iMac?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

You need the firmware update in place before you install OS10. If you have to download it on a PC and put the update on a jump drive or burn it to a cd. Run the Imac with 9.2.2 and open the update, its self exstracting. Follow the instructions. You will have to push the programers key next to the bottom of the USB jack. Then the boot rom will be 4.1.9. The update keeps the Unix code in OS10 from burning up the video chip. Otherwise is called death by 10. The installer in OS10 will not stop if the boot rom is not right. Check it in Apple system profiler.
QUOTE Thanks
cablett_ndv

What if I don't have the original 9.2.2 OS boot disks? The computer was a hand me down so all I got was the computer with it's current hardware.

Nick
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« video card for the dual PPC G5? | powerclean my G4 »