New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Hard drive full. Why?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rick777

rick777 is on a distinguished road

I'm new to macs, always had a PC before. I have a mac book pro 2008.

My hard drive seems to have filled up and I can't account for it. What is the quickest way to see where all the large files have been placed on the computer?

Also, I regularly do software updates for the mac, and these always seem to be anywhere up to 200 mb per update and I've done loads of these updates. Are these updates partially responsible for filling up my HD?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick777 View Post
I'm new to macs, always had a PC before. I have a mac book pro 2008.

My hard drive seems to have filled up and I can't account for it. What is the quickest way to see where all the large files have been placed on the computer?

Also, I regularly do software updates for the mac, and these always seem to be anywhere up to 200 mb per update and I've done loads of these updates. Are these updates partially responsible for filling up my HD?
Large files...probably your "Applications" folder.

Do you have a lot of music or videos on your computer?

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You can find both of these with an easy google

DiskInventoryX

WhatSize

(Don't believe either of them are fully compatible with 10.6 right now.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
rick777

rick777 is on a distinguished road

My applications folder is 6.9gb.

The majority of my docs are on the desktop, 50 gb maximum, and yet my hard drive is 200gb, and I have no space left on the hard drive!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:

The majority of my docs are on the desktop, 50 gb maximum, and yet my hard drive is 200gb, and I have no space left on the hard drive!
I'm sure those big files or folders are on your hard drive somewhere. I'm guessing your hard drive needs a good cleaning to free up some space...what would you do if your hard drive crashed!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

Quote:

My dad told me once that files take up more space when they are on the desktop. I don't know if this is true, but if it is, then you should move (not copy!) them to a different location and put Aliases to them on your desktop. Aliases don't use any extra space.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Keeping apps on the desktop is not a good thing to do you can corrupt the file system. Do you ever clean out the bowser cashe,cookies or history. Do you have a file backup app running on automatic. backing up every day over and over.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to Open SuperDrive without Apple Keyboard? | Taking my iMac from Canada to Germany »