iMac Intel speakers
    Am I in the right place for this question? I have an iMac Intel about 4 years old and the internal speakers have ceased to function. Sill getting output from the jack to earphones but when adjusting sound from keyboard with no plug in a circle with a bar across it appears with the volume on screen. What have I done wrong?

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Have you checked to see if the sound was muted? System Preferences, Sound. Check all three: Sound Effects, Input, and Output. Make sure the mute box is not selected.

iMac Speakers not working
    Thanks for the hint. Yes I checked and none are muted. Is it possible that with repeated connection of the headphone jack the system that mutes the speakers when these are connected fails to recognize that there is no jack in place and continues to mute speakers?

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Once in awhile the jack will get stuck in the on position - if you look in it, you'll see the red light still on.

Sometimes you can try plugging and unplugging the headphones a few times to turn it off.

I used a toothpick - don't jam it in there, you're not trying to break anything - just sort of tickle the inside of the jack until it turns off - took all of about 2 seconds when mine did that

(And maybe not - don't recall the volume being crossed out like that with this issue.)
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

iMac Speakers not working

You were 100% correct, the red light stays on - comes on 2 seconds after removing the jack and stays on. I tried the "toothpick" method without success. Good idea though. So I now know that something is wrong at the socket. Actually after using the toothpick I now have to hold the jack with slight pressure to get sound from the LH headphone. This leads me to believe that there was something loose there that needs looking at. So I have dis-assembled many PCs but this is a new adventure. How do I get to that socket? PS: I currently dont live in a Western Country so would hesitate in taking the Mac to a "repairer"

Thread Information