New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Hard drive question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mojofilter

mojofilter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2, Apple PowerMac G5 Quad, iPhone 3G, Ipod Classic 160 gig.

I have a G5 2.5ghz Quad that I'm going to have to sell (I've had a stay in hospital and I'm off work for 10 weeks so I need to raise some cash) ....

Anyway, I have a 2nd HD in my machine and I was wondering if I could just pull this out of my Mac and then installing it in my new machine once I start work again ....

Would any of the files on there be damaged doing it this way or would it be better to buy an external HD, copy all of the stuff that I need to keep from my Mac onto that. Then just format both drives and sell the machine with both of the drives installed in it ??

There are no applications installed on the 2nd drive, just photos, dmg's etc...

Thanks in advance,

Paul
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I would go the external hard drive route. Even if you were to pull the second hard drive from the machine unless you were planning on buying a Mac Pro, how would you use it? You might have to place it in an external carrier in order to use it - assuming you bought a MacBook or MBP.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojofilter View Post
Anyway, I have a 2nd HD in my machine and I was wondering if I could just pull this out of my Mac and then installing it in my new machine once I start work again ....

Would any of the files on there be damaged doing it this way or would it be better to buy an external HD, copy all of the stuff that I need to keep from my Mac onto that. Then just format both drives and sell the machine with both of the drives installed in it ??

There are no applications installed on the 2nd drive, just photos, dmg's etc...

Thanks in advance,

Paul
You could remove the 2nd hard drive as you mentioned...but installing it into your new computer would depend on what computer you end up purchasing.

- If you ended up purchasing a new iMac..iMacs only hold one hard drive.
- If you ended up purchasing a laptop...this hard drive won't fit in a laptop.
- If you ended up purchasing a Mac Pro, then you could probably install it in the Mac Pro.

In any case, you would not be damaging any files by removing the hard drive.

If you decide later on to not buy a Mac Pro (a computer you could install this removed hard drive into)...you could always buy an external hard drive case & install the hard drive from the G5 into it.

Also...if you sell your G5 with two hard drives...I doubt that you will get much more money for the G5.

So my vote is remove the hard drive with the photos, dmg's, etc. Any see what happens later.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
mojofilter

mojofilter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2, Apple PowerMac G5 Quad, iPhone 3G, Ipod Classic 160 gig.

Thanks guys ..... I would be looking at getting a new Mac Pro once I'm back at work so I'll just remove the drive ...

stay cool,

Paul
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojofilter View Post
Thanks guys ..... I would be looking at getting a new Mac Pro once I'm back at work so I'll just remove the drive ...

stay cool,

Paul
Nice...a new Mac Pro sounds great!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How can I reeboot my iMac? | Freeky G4 »