New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G4 Dual Mirror doors - black screen, no boot sound.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

torbenc

torbenc is on a distinguished road

Hi

I just got my hands on a very cheap Power Mac G4 Dual 1.25ghz "mirror door" with 17" cinema display.

There was no harddrive installed because the org. died.

The ram wasen't installed, but I got 4x512mb and 1x1024mb modules.

When I power on the machine, the harddrive I have put in, spins up, but there is no "startup sound" as I read there should be.

The screen is all black with no response at all (I can power on the machine through the powerbutton on the screen)

I have tried to pull out the battery in 10min, and made an PMU reset with no luck.
The battery shows 3.6v when I test it - So it should be ok?

I have tried several different RAM setups, how should I place the RAM in the slots? one in J20 and J21 ?

And where should the system disk be placed? There is several IDE ports where I can put it.
(just so I know these two things are ok)

There is a little red diode lighting right next to the RAM slots, should it be red?

Hope someone can help me, else I will have to sell the machine again (in parts)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What RAM did you get? That machine takes PC2700 DDR SDRAM. There are 4 Dimm slots and each will take a 512Meg PC2700 DDR. If you went with higher specked DDR like say PC3200, that could be an issue depending on the RAM.

There should be one IDE hard drive port free as far as I know. The other is the the DVD/CD Rom drives.

Update: The MDD is the only Powermac I have never got to work with. I got some pics and it looks like there are 2 IDE ports besides the one for the optical drives. Either should work. If there is no hard drive the machine should make the startup sound and light the screen if the RAM is correct.
QUOTE Thanks
torbenc

Ok, there is 4 free IDE on two cabels.

I know from PC's that some motherboards requires that you put the ram in right order.

On my MAC board they are placed in this order:

J20 J22 J21 J23

The 4 512mb ram is not 100% even. but its 2 pair.

Should I mount on pair in J20 and J21 or ?

The ram is PC2700

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
torbenc

I just found out, that the light on the screen should continue lightning when turning the mac on, it dosen't!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You never verified that you are using the correct ram...are you using 184-pin PC2700 (333 MHz) DDR SDRAM?

Also be aware that PC-2700 ram that is used in "WinTel" computers may not always compatible with a Macintosh. If the ram came out of a Windows computer...it may not work in a Mac.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
torbenc

The ram is PC2700 and was used in the mac when it was working.

I have tested the ram with a PC, and they all work.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbenc View Post
Hi

I just got my hands on a very cheap Power Mac G4 Dual 1.25ghz "mirror door" with 17" cinema display.
Thanks for the info on the ram.

Honestly, without knowing more of the history of this computer...we may be "spinning our wheels" trying to figure out the problem.

You also mentioned that you get no display (screen is black)...the video card could be defective.

You got this G4 desktop "very cheap" for a reason...It Doesn't Work!!!...unless you can verify for us that it was fully operational before you bought it.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
torbenc

The seller told me that the harddrive stopped working after he got a macbook, and therefore he diden't buy a new.

I tried to put in a newer ATI agp card, but then it woulden't do anything at all.

I just thought you had some tricks I could try. I haven't worked with mac the last 6-8 years, but bought this to play around with.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbenc View Post
I just thought you had some tricks I could try. I haven't worked with mac the last 6-8 years, but bought this to play around with.
I'm thinking that if something is REALLY wrong with it...no tricks will help.

I know that you measured the voltage of the PRAM battery...but voltage is not always a good measure of a batteries condition...amperage is better.

For example...a car battery is 12 volts. You can measure it's voltage & get 12 volts...but it still may not start your car, because it's old & has no amps.

The only other thing I can suggest is a new PRAM battery. Some Power Mac's will not start without a good PRAM battery. I had it happen recently on an older G3 Desktop.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
torbenc

I ordered a new battery earlyer today, and found a used video card on ebay for $16.

I can spend about $100 to get this on working, and it would still be cheap (after mac prices in my country)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you try a PRAM Reset? You said PMU which is Power Management Unit. PRAM is the parameter RAM.

Hold down Command+Option+P+R keys right after you press the power button and keep them down and see if you hear a startup sound. If you do, keep the keys down until you hear at least one more startup sound then let go.
QUOTE Thanks
torbenc

Yes I have tried a PRAM, nothing happens there either. (I makes the same "boot up" sequense)
QUOTE Thanks
torbenc

Got a new battery - that diden't work either.

I found a used working videocard very cheap - I will get it in few days.
If that dosen't work, I can sell it and make a few bucks on it on ebay

Maybe it's the PSU as I can read here: New to Mac having powermac G4 issue
QUOTE Thanks
torbenc

Now I measured all the PSU outtakes - All showing the voltage they should (after this schematic Mods to Mirror Drive Door Power Supply)

Still have some unanswered questions:

Right next to the ram sockets, there is a little red light - should it light red normal? (on PC motherboards, red light is normal not good)

When I press the power button, it only lights for a few sec. (The button)
After 10-15 sec. ALL fans in the cabinet starts to run at max (very noisy) Is that normal?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Sounds like you have a dud logic board.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 Powermac-what does this mean? | iMac system crash »