New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - RAM or Processor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mikethebook

Mikethebook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM

I'm planning to buy a Mac Mini with a minimum of 2GB RAM. Its main usage will be for internet and word-processing but I also want to be able to use MacSpeech Dictate. If I have extra cash would I be better moving up to 4GB RAM (since I don't want to fiddle around inside a Mac Mini) or move up from a 2.0GHz processor to a 2.26GHz?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethebook View Post
I'm planning to buy a Mac Mini with a minimum of 2GB RAM. Its main usage will be for internet and word-processing but I also want to be able to use MacSpeech Dictate. If I have extra cash would I be better moving up to 4GB RAM (since I don't want to fiddle around inside a Mac Mini) or move up from a 2.0GHz processor to a 2.26GHz?
IMHO...If all you're going to be doing is word processing & internet with this Mac Mini...you really don't need any upgrades...just save your money.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
charlesT

charlesT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethebook View Post
The 2.0GHz and 2 GB will be fine for you, I think.

I run a 2.2GHz 2 GB MBP and have been fine.

Editing video, editing audio, editing pictures, all while running multiple programs. What I'm saying is, unless you are editing HD video and I mean 1920x1280 you will have a nice clean fast running computer.

Tell you what you should do.

Find the closest Apple store and go in and install MacSpeech Dictate and see how well it runs on it.

MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.2 GHz, 2 GB, 800 MHz
iPhone 3G
 For Life.
QUOTE Thanks
Mikethebook

Mikethebook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 2GB RAM

Thanks for your feedback. Maybe I'm save the money or use it to buy MacSpeech Dicate. Unfortunately, my nearest Apple store is about a 7 hour drive away. That's the problem with living near John O'Groats!!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The specs of 2Ghz and 2GB are going to be enough for what you want to do. I upgraded my 1.83Ghz from 1GB to 3GB of memory and that made a big difference..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 24" eye strain? | How much RAM and where? »