New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Will it handle Web browsing, music, videos, divx -> DVD conversions and light video

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RssV

RssV is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.0GHZ / nVidia 9400M

Hi folks, what's up?

I've used Macs sometime ago, and after lots of Windows I'm thinking about going back to Apple territory.

The thing is: I can only afford the entry-level Mac Mini for now (2.0GHZ / 1GB / 120GB / 9400M). It will cost something close to US$970 here in Brazil, converting local currency -- Yup, Macs are expensive here, a 20" iMac with 1GB/160GB/9400M would be close to US$1690.

My question is: will this tiny thing handle things like Web browsing, music, videos, divx -> DVD conversions and light video editing + photo editing? I mean, I'll have to wait a little bit to get another 2GB of RAM.

It's "funny" that with a bit less of money I'm be able to get an Acer laptop with Athlon X2 2.1, 3GB, 320GB, Radeon HD3200 IGP and HDMI... Hehe...

Thanks in advance, and sorry if these are recurring questions.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RssV View Post
It's "funny" that with a bit less of money I'm be able to get an Acer laptop with Athlon X2 2.1, 3GB, 320GB, Radeon HD3200 IGP and HDMI... Hehe...
If you're having "value" issues...then get the Acer!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

nbrowser has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB

The Mini will handle that, I do pretty much the same with my Mini, a Core Duo 1.66Ghz albeit I did some upgrades but the most noticeable will be bumping it up to 2gb of RAM....it does help hope this helps.

This is a multiplatform home !
QUOTE Thanks
RssV

RssV is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.0GHZ / nVidia 9400M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If you're having "value" issues...then get the Acer!

- Nick
I'd say I have the exact amount to get the Mini, nothing more.

I know that the Acer is cheaper and has lots of better specs, but the real deal in this case is the operating system

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
The Mini will handle that, I do pretty much the same with my Mini, a Core Duo 1.66Ghz albeit I did some upgrades but the most noticeable will be bumping it up to 2gb of RAM....it does help hope this helps.
That looks good Thanks for replying.

I'll buy + 2GB to have 3GB asap.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I bought a Mac Mini recently for some generic use and iPhone development. The Mac Pro was entirely out of my budget and I didn't want the laptop. I have the 1.83 Ghz machine and it came with 1GB, I used it like that for about 2 months and then upped the memory to 3GB and there's a marked improvement is usability and speed.

So I think the Mac Mini will do everything you want, and that is quite a crazy conversion rate.

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

120GB vs. 320GB might be your biggest issue if you've got lots of stuff. But, when you can afford it, you can always add an external drive.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Actually with the latest Mini's it's just as easy to get to the hard drive as the RAM, so a larger Hard Drive could be installed when the RAM is upgraded. Took me 15-20 minutes from the time I used the putty knives to get the top off to snapping the top back on.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

You get what you pay for with Acer. It's like comparing a Yugo with a BMW.

Google the words "Acer" and "sucks" sometime if you're bored.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual displays | 24" eye strain? »