New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac Firewire 400 problem/upgrade question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chaesop

Chaesop is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5 1.9GHz 2.5GB Ram 160GB, 13" Macbook Pro 2.26GHz 2GB Ram 320GB

A few years ago I made the switch from PC to Mac and I have a 17" 1.9GHz G5 (iSight) with 2.5gb RAM, but here recently my Firewire ports have both stopped working. Is there anyway to replace this or fix it? Around the same time that the firewire ports quit working 3 lines of dead pixels from top to bottom appeared. It hasn't overheated or anything and there is no flicker or odd behavior or loss of performance from the machine. Any thoughts on what this might be? I have been worried that my logic board might be going out. And aside from upgrading the memory are there any other hardware upgrades that I can perform? My apologies if this isn't in the appropriate category.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I'm afraid there isn't much you can do about the dead pixels. The cure for that is a new display. Dead pixels are not caused by a logic board defect.

As for the non working Firewire ports, run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine to see if it picks up on them: Link The Apple AHT will sometimes miss a hardware defect so keep trouble shooting.

Also check out this thread in another forum and try what he tried. Link Also try repairing permissions.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to remove locked files in the bin? | Rubbishly slow internet... »