New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - G5 display problem


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
maketo

 
Member Since: Aug 18, 2009
Posts: 3
maketo is on a distinguished road

maketo is offline
Hello,

I got a free (yeah, right as if it was going to be really free!) 17" G5 ALS (power pc kind) and after a few weeks the power supply died. I got a new one, replaced the old one - now the box will boot but the display is dead. Assuming that it is really dead - can I just get a DisplayPort-to-VGA converter and display everything on an external monitor? Or do I need to be able to boot the box and login and set something up in the Display section or whatever the section is in the Preferences screen (can you tell I am really not a Mac person to start with? . Anyone has any suggestions on how to get this box going (without the obvious screen replacement)?

Thanks!
OD
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 25,813
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by maketo View Post
Hello,

I got a free (yeah, right as if it was going to be really free!)
Hey...free it still free!

How would you feel if you actually paid the retail value of the computer, which could be around $350 bucks...and then the problems you ran into occurred? I bet that you would be really upset!!!

As far as your question. Yes, you could purchase an adapter & plug in an external monitor...as long as the only thing wrong with the iMac is video hardware related or display related.

Good luck, let us know if the external monitor works,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 38,508
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
The first thing I would do is go over the replacing of the power supply. Sounds suspicious to me if the display was working OK before the supply was swapped out and now it's not working. Could be related? Trace the wiring and make sure the voltage supply to the inverter is hooked up correctly.

You should be able to find a breakout of the wiring of the machine including the power supply by doing an on line search. That model Mac was popular and there are many still in existence.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
maketo

 
Member Since: Aug 18, 2009
Posts: 3
maketo is on a distinguished road

maketo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The first thing I would do is go over the replacing of the power supply. Sounds suspicious to me if the display was working OK before the supply was swapped out and now it's not working. Could be related? Trace the wiring and make sure the voltage supply to the inverter is hooked up correctly.

You should be able to find a breakout of the wiring of the machine including the power supply by doing an on line search. That model Mac was popular and there are many still in existence.

Regards.
Thank you for the reply. I could have fried something too while replacing the power supply. That's why I said in the original email that if the display is not fixable - does the mac automatically replicate whatever is sent to the built-in display on the display port for the external monitor? Or do I have to fiddle with software setting first?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 38,508
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
You could have fried something when replacing the power supply if you hooked it up incorrectly but I would think you would find that out immediately after turning on power. Hopefully you made a diagram of the old wiring and placement before removing the original PS? If anything, the inverter (which supplies power to the backlight) may have been zapped or not hooked up to the power supply. Or, power to the display itself may not be hooked up correctly. That's why you need to go over the wiring again.

As for attaching an external display, your G5 supports video mirroring only but that will be good enough. If everything else is OK (power supply hookups) and the video is working, an external monitor should work. Normally, you will have to go into System Preferences, Displays, and setup the external monitor. What version of OS X is the machine running?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
maketo

 
Member Since: Aug 18, 2009
Posts: 3
maketo is on a distinguished road

maketo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You could have fried something when replacing the power supply if you hooked it up incorrectly but I would think you would find that out immediately after turning on power. Hopefully you made a diagram of the old wiring and placement before removing the original PS? If anything, the inverter (which supplies power to the backlight) may have been zapped or not hooked up to the power supply. Or, power to the display itself may not be hooked up correctly. That's why you need to go over the wiring again.

As for attaching an external display, your G5 supports video mirroring only but that will be good enough. If everything else is OK (power supply hookups) and the video is working, an external monitor should work. Normally, you will have to go into System Preferences, Displays, and setup the external monitor. What version of OS X is the machine running?

Regards.
That was kind of my questions - if the display is not working there is no way for me to get to System preferences unless the Mac mirrors by default and I can just plug in an additional monitor. If it does, then I can easily figure out what to do in the display setup portion of the preferences...

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Quicktime plugin Firefox | Apple Delivery »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
External LCD Display Resolution Problem gooshy Apple Notebooks 12 11-06-2011 07:12 PM
Problem with my display screen JRMD Apple Notebooks 3 08-06-2008 04:09 AM
iBook Display problem jtfox Apple Notebooks 1 06-26-2008 09:09 PM
Display problem - Help jpfahy Apple Notebooks 2 06-04-2007 06:42 PM
Display problem with Mac Mini contrattacco Apple Desktops 0 05-29-2007 11:19 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?