New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G4 Fan

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gruffsion

gruffsion is on a distinguished road

Hello!

I recently bought a powermac g4 mirrored door and love it! I use it only for music production and it has been a revelation - powerful, quick and very cheap!

There are however some issues that worry me...

I have set up a wonderfully ancient digibox001 which works really well. But when the box is connected to the computer it won't start at all. The light comes on for a second before dimming - it's almost as if there is not enough power to start up both computer and the digibox. When i remove the digibox it starts up fine - I connect the box after start up and all is well. But is this damaging to the computer and is there anything i could do to fix it?

Also, the computer won't always start up first time - more often than not I have it freezes on the apple logo screen and i have to force shut down and start again. Usually after that it's fine, and has never crashed after boot up. I assume this isn't healthy - any tips to fix it?

Finally, the fan is incredibly loud! Not the best backdrop for recording vocals! I've read several articles on this but cannot find anywhere that suggests a definite replacement fan. Any suggestions?

Basically, once booted up and connected the computer is a dream (apart from the fan) but I'm worried that one day it will not boot up at all!

Thanks - any help greatly appreciated!

gruffsion
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Make sure you keep the MDD spotless inside. Dust really builds up around the front inlet up under the front leg of the machine. A paint brush is the go to get all that dirt out. Dirty, dusty fans can really get a rattle up. They are known colloquially as 'wind tunnels' and now you know why!

About the startup pop in your install DVD, boot from that and run Repair Disk. The set top box is obviously drawing too much power during boot.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Re the loud fan noise, when they were new Apple supplied a replacement power supply (they use 2 small fans) and main fan as a replacement kit. Later there used to be lots of articles on the web re choosing better fans, perhaps less now as they are older and classed as vintage by Apple.

Steve Bell
Aylesbury, UK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I'm having a real big problem with my IMac! | Switching graphics cards between a iMac G4 and a MacBook Pro »