New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Power Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dcaudle68

dcaudle68 is on a distinguished road

I have a Dual 2.3 Powermac G5. Never a problem. Had unplugged it because we was planning on selling it as we had migrated to a MacBook Pro laptop. Last night realized had some old Itunes i needed off the hard drive so tried to hook it back up and nothing is happening save for a small white dot of light right above the power on button. My fear is the power supply has gone bad since no fans or anything starts up but if this is the case would I even get the little white light if the power supply was bad? Was hoping somebody else may be in this boat before I have an Apple store check it out.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Try this from Apple, the bottom section pertains to our machines:-

How to reset the SMU on a Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) or Power Mac G5 (Late 2005)

Also perhaps replace the 2032 PRAM battery may help as she has been standing unpowered for a while.

Keep us posted?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Try this from Apple, the bottom section pertains to our machines:-

How to reset the SMU on a Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) or Power Mac G5 (Late 2005)

Also perhaps replace the 2032 PRAM battery may help as she has been standing unpowered for a while.

Keep us posted?
I was going to also suggest the pram battery. The computer is 4+ years old...about what you would get out of a pram battery...or at least suspect it.

My only unknown regarding the pram battery...I've had older Powermac's where the pram battery was dead, and it wouldn't boot properly...but at least with them when you hit the power button you would get the "start-up" "Bong", and the hard drive would spin up.

Not sure if G5's are different, since the OP says they get nothing but the little light when pushing the power button.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
dcaudle68

Thanks for the help guys, I simply needed to reset that little SMU button on the motherboard. What i had done when I disassembled it was disconnect everythign when it was asleep i assume so it had stayed stuck in that mode until I reset that button. Fired right up after that. Thanks so much, had visions of a $300 power supply bill going thourgh my head
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaudle68 View Post
Thanks for the help guys, I simply needed to reset that little SMU button on the motherboard. What i had done when I disassembled it was disconnect everythign when it was asleep i assume so it had stayed stuck in that mode until I reset that button. Fired right up after that. Thanks so much, had visions of a $300 power supply bill going thourgh my head
Congrats on finding the problem...a bit of a headache...but an easy fix once you knew what to do.

By the way...in your initial posting you didn't mention anything about "disassembling everything" (like you mentioned in your 2nd posting).

I'm not sure what you mean by this...but that could have been a very important detail in helping us help you figure out the problem...in case it wasn't the SMU button reset.

Thanks for letting us know that you figured it out...it always great to get closure (a happy ending) in a thread!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
dcaudle68

Sorry bad terminology, by dissasembling I simply meant taking the monitor off the desk and pulling the power plug from the tower. I did not mean removing anythign inside the tower although I had to remove the fans to reset the SMU button. Sorry to confuse.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaudle68 View Post
Sorry bad terminology, by dissasembling I simply meant taking the monitor off the desk and pulling the power plug from the tower. I did not mean removing anythign inside the tower although I had to remove the fans to reset the SMU button. Sorry to confuse.
Got it! Just a little confusion on my part.

Problem fixed...good deal!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Saved $300.00? Hmm send Nick and I a crate of beer and all is forgiven!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Saved $300.00? Hmm send Nick and I a crate of beer and all is forgiven!
Awesome!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Some lost iPhoto files but not all? | Macmini startup problems »