New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - The maximum load of the Mac drive.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dobby

dobby is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad

Searching through the Mac web side I have the impression that how fuller the drive become the drive become fragmented .
if so how high can the maximum load capacity be .
I mean in percentage .
For instance mine is now used for 85% .
Is that to high ?
On the other hand if I still about 34 GB free
Does anyone know it ?

dobby
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I don't think there is a magical number but 10-15% free space is a good buffer. If you notice things getting considerably slower and you have less that 10% of your disk free, I would suggest freeing up space as your first course of action.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
whitakt1

whitakt1 is on a distinguished road

Also depends on the types of programs you are using. For most people, the 10% rule applies (i.e. never go under that much free)

But if you are using Final Cut, Motion, etc.. or trying to multitask with some of the Adobe Suite of products like having Photoshop, Bridge, and Illustrator open at once swapping files, I would stick to 15-20% minimum.

In fact, i am trying to save EVERYTHING on a secondary drive now. My computer tech friends tell me to only put my OS and all applications on one drive and keep all the files associated with applications on another drive. That way you drive never gets fragmented and always has lots of free space.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitakt1 View Post
In fact, i am trying to save EVERYTHING on a secondary drive now. My computer tech friends tell me to only put my OS and all applications on one drive and keep all the files associated with applications on another drive. That way you drive never gets fragmented and always has lots of free space.
That would be true of a Windows machine. Journaled file systems really don't require that level of maintenance. Keep the drive within 20% of capacity, regardless of the applications you use and it should be fine.

About disk optimization with Mac OS X

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help on old Power Pc Mac | Mac Mini and intensive PhotoShop usage »