New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - RCA connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe is on a distinguished road

Hi, all-knowing Mac hive mind. I bow before your collective knowledge.

Here's the scoop:

I'm in the process of converting my Mac Mini (bought in early 2009) into my home media center. I have a 2004 Toshiba TV (Toshiba 35AF44). It has S-Video and RCA inputs, but no HDMI inputs or anything fancy. I bought the DVI to S-video adapter, and when I connected the mini to the TV, it worked great for the first 10 minutes. Then, I made the horrible, horrible mistake of trying to mess with the display settings, at which point it went terribly wrong: the screen flickers vertically, like a mismatch in refresh rates, and I can't see anything enough to reset the way it was. Every time I connect another monitor to the mac mini, everything goes back to normal. I have tried multiple cords, and while the different RCA cables have varying affects, the S-Video connection does nothing at all. What's the solution to this maddening problem? I'm so frustrated, I'm willing to send the person who gets this working something totally rad.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Only taking a shot here.

Try a safe boot and reset the display preferences - audio for sure does not work in safe mode.

Here's how to do it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I did the same thing the OP did once messing around! Those settings should not be touched as I think you found out for using it with a TV as you can cause a mess that is hard to get out of. Try what Bobtomay suggested. Should work. I fought with it with an external monitor and somehow got the settings back again. Been ages.

Let us know if that works.
QUOTE Thanks
joeyjoejoe

Sounds good: but do I have to back up everything else first? Does it touch the data on the drive, or just the settings?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You're not touching any data.

Just boot to safe mode, open up System Preferences - Displays

Not even sure the video will output to the TV in Safe Mode as I haven't tried it.

Hopefully it will and you'll be able to reset the TV display there. Or use the Detect Displays button.

If not, back in regular boot up, in Display preferences, make sure you have the displays mirrored, this will give you access to the 2nd display preference box and try the same thing.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
joeyjoejoe

It worked! I did have to restart in safe mode, but also had to make sure the TV was attached prior to the reboot ; restarting with the monitor hooked, and then trying to switch did NOT work, suffice to say.

In any event, I'm a man of my word: Bobtomay, go to my site, JoeAlterio.com, and send me a mailing address through the contact form, I'll send you a teeshirt. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dark green lines on my screen? | Using iMac as external bluetooth speakers »