New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Memory upgrade for a G5 iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Northern Lights

Northern Lights is on a distinguished road

I have a G5 iMac 2GHz with 512 MB memory in one slot - the other is empty. What is the best option for improving memory? I had planned on keeping the 512 MB and adding a 1 GB chip. I am confused as to whether or not I have to buy 'matching' memory, i.e. both slots would have to have the same size of memory or even if I have to purchase the memory in matched pairs. I read somewhere that to maximize performance "offered by dual-channel systems, you should install memory in identical pairs. Installing a kitted pair is the best way to ensure that your modules are identical, right down to the chip count". I don't understand what a 'kitted' pair is.
QUOTE Thanks
fletch33

fletch33 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz

all i know is that i had my iMac for over year with 1 512mb and 1 1Gb stick in it and had no problems at all.

"i believe louisiana is the pelican state"
QUOTE Thanks
Northern Lights

Northern Lights is on a distinguished road

I had an apple techie do some searching for me and it does look like you do not have to have to match memory. I also am going to opt for the 1 GB addition.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
zongamin

zongamin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
I have a G5 iMac 2GHz with 512 MB memory in one slot - the other is empty. What is the best option for improving memory? I had planned on keeping the 512 MB and adding a 1 GB chip. I am confused as to whether or not I have to buy 'matching' memory, i.e. both slots would have to have the same size of memory or even if I have to purchase the memory in matched pairs. I read somewhere that to maximize performance "offered by dual-channel systems, you should install memory in identical pairs. Installing a kitted pair is the best way to ensure that your modules are identical, right down to the chip count". I don't understand what a 'kitted' pair is.
You do not need matching memory modules, - I have a G5 with the standard 512 and an extra 2 gig added.

iMac 2.66 4GB Ram
iPod 5th Gen 60gig
iPhone 3GS 32gig
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« vertical colored lines on screen? | not turning on. »