Thread: New video card

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 3.06Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB HD 7,200RPM
    Question New video card
    I am looking to upgrade my video card in my Power Mac G5 (1.8dp). I currently have the GeForce FX 5200 (64MB), which sits in the AGP slot. Now my question is can I remove that one and use a open PCI-X slot? Also what is a 'full length PCI-X slot'? Any video cards that are recommended?

Thanks

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by WMDunkin View Post
    I am looking to upgrade my video card in my Power Mac G5 (1.8dp). I currently have the GeForce FX 5200 (64MB), which sits in the AGP slot. Now my question is can I remove that one and use a open PCI-X slot? Also what is a 'full length PCI-X slot'? Any video cards that are recommended?

Thanks
    In the Powermac G5 2.3ghz dual processor I used to own (with PCI-X, and an 8x AGP slot for the video card)...I had a Radeon 9600 video card (it has 128meg of video ram vs. the 64 meg in the GeForce 5200). That could be a video card upgrade option.

- Nick

Specs:
    2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
    Short answer is yes - you can leave them both in and have dual monitors. Caution - not sure if you can use a PCI-x card in the G5 but the regular PCI card is good to go. The long cards will fit but make sure you get a MAC version. I favour the ATI cards but as pigoo mentioned the GeForce are the new breed. I would pick an older ATI 9200 or 9600 over a newer card. Be careful how much you put into an older Mac.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilbear View Post
    Caution - not sure if you can use a PCI-x card in the G5 but the regular PCI card is good to go.
    Sounds like the OP has a PM G5 dual 1.8ghz computer...with PCI-X slots.

The expansion slots on Powermac G5's can be VERY confusing...since the PM G5 lineup during it's lifetime had 3 different expansion card architecture's (PCI, PCI-X, and PCI-e).

- Nick

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 3.06Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB HD 7,200RPM
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Sounds like the OP has a PM G5 dual 1.8ghz computer...with PCI-X slots.

The expansion slots on Powermac G5's can be VERY confusing...since the PM G5 lineup during it's lifetime had 3 different expansion card architecture's (PCI, PCI-X, and PCI-e).

- Nick
    correct it is dual 1.8ghz, I am more or less wondering what slot would be better to look for? I would assume the AGP since it is such an old PCI slot. Don't AGP throughput at 2gb? Also I am working with files that are 1gb or so, fairly graphic/size/resolution heavy; so what would be the best option?

Hello fellow mac users, I am new here and my problem would fit nicely in this thread.

You see, I currently am using the Power Mac G5 using a ATI Radeon 9600 XT. This specific card does not require the use of power cables. I own a nVIDIA GeFORCE 6-Series that I would like to install. The problem I have encountered is that this specific card requires TWO 4-pin power supply slots.

Now.. the power cables inside of the G5 are not 4-pin, which makes it difficult for me to install this card. How am I supposed to install this card? If I did manage to do this, would my power supply be able to support this card?

I am also looking to purchase a new video card and want to make the installation as simple as possible, but still have it be an upgrade from the GeFORCE 6-series. Would anybody happen to know any good quality video cards that do not require a power supply? My budget is at $300.

I had one video card in mind to purchase, but it requires a power supply that I don't think I could provide.
    The video card is:

SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity

Thread Information