New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac G5 Pre-sight hard drive upgrade - heat issues with 1 tb?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fanglekai

fanglekai is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone.

I have an iMac G5 pre-isight I bought in October of '04. I've decided I need a bigger hard drive, even though the original 160gb drive is still running just fine. I've spent hours researching different drives, and I've decided to either get a Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb or the WD Caviar Green 1tb (model # WD10EADS-00M2B0, if possible since it's the newer, 2-platter design).

I don't really care about the noise of the drive. My main concern is heat. I know the earlier iMacs had issues with heat, and I'm wondering if the 1tb Caviar Black would be too hot for the iMac. Most reviews say not to use the Green version since it won't perform well as an OS drive, but I know it's supposed to run very cool and use less power. I'm not sure if the Caviar Black would draw too much power since it has dual processors.

I'm wondering what drives everyone here uses for their iMac and whether or not a 1tb 7200rpm drive would be too hot.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac upgrading? | Mini Display Port »