New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

eMac - eMac died

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gminah

gminah is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have an old (2003) eMac that runs (ran) OS 10.3.9. It recently shut itself off mid-session and will not power back on. I tried resetting the PRAM and replacing the lithium-ion battery but still nothing.... when the power button is pressed, I hear a slight noise as if it's going to power on (that initial "tdzzz" noise) but nothing happens, no fan, nothing....

I backed up the data on an external hard drive a month or so ago but still lost some important things.... any suggestions on how I might get the machine to power back on long enough for me to get the rest of the data off of it that I need?

Thanks a lot...
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Take the drive out and hook it up to a USB drive adapter and then to a different computer. I guess that Emac has a cuda button on the board, Its silver. Unplug the Emac and push the button for 3sec. then plug back in and try to start it up. Thats the last trick. Sounds like a bad PS, Emacs had that problem.
QUOTE Thanks
gminah

gminah is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips... I tried pushing that button, too, and nothing happened...

But here's a weird update: yesterday, I was about to move the machine somewhere out of the way and I thought I would give it one last try... it's been sitting upside down for about a week now... I hit the power button and it turned on!! The screen is all faded looking but I was able to get everything off that I needed....

Sorry, I know this isn't helpful to anyone else.... but it was quite a pleasant surprise for me! My mac basically came back from the dead.... PC's sure can't do that.

I could easily go one with bad jokes but I'll stop here.

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Very Interesting...Unless your just done with it,replacing the power supply is not that difficult. Glade you got your stuff off. Good Luck to ya
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« pmac g5... internal HD q's... | Upgrading the graphics card? »